Bat speed radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ital

Banned
Mar 21, 2012
Frankly, the eyes are pretty darn accurate and really inexpensive. The actually number is irrelevant. The increment increase you cannot see visually is small enough to be negligible.

Jul 11, 2010
In regards to swing speed , how does the change in swing speed translate into distance?

I seem to remember reading a fairly in depth article that put it at about every 1 MPH added to bat speed = 10-12' of distance added to a hit.

The main focus of the article was that bat speed played a MUCH larger part than pitch speed. Basically, squelching the old "she's throwing hard so your going to hit it farther" line of reasoning.

I'll see if I can find the article, though it may be tough. Just one of those things I surfed upon by accident.

Jul 26, 2010
The equation can get complicated. I'm fairly sure that 1mph bat speed does not equal 10', otherwise we'd have 12 year olds hitting the ball 600'.

The distance the ball will travel is a product of both bat speed, pitch speed, bat elasticity (pop), and bat mass.

Knowing an exact bat speed helps us to determine the balance between optimal bat speed and optimal bat mass. With a swing speed radar, it's easier to tell if a kid is ready to move up to a heavier bat. If she only looses a few mph off her swing with a bigger/heavier bat (and her mechanics still appear sound when viewing in slow motion on video), then moving up to the heavier/longer bat is probably a good idea. If the swing slows down by more then 4 mph, then she probably isn't ready for that heavier bat . .. but even here there is room for exceptions. Knowing the exact speeds helps us make informed decisions.

-W

Oct 14, 2008
The distance the ball will travel is a product of both bat speed, pitch speed, bat elasticity (pop), and bat mass.

Core and compression of the ball plays in there somewhere. also whether its a cork or yarn product. For those of us that have been around a bit there used to be a White 12 inch green dot made by worth I believe, it had a 47 or greater core and better than 500 on the compression. Those balls used to absolutely scream off the bat. The safety nuts of today would have a stroke if they ever saw that ball in play. I cant swear to it but I think i saw a girl bunt a home run with one once.

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
Frankly, the eyes are pretty darn accurate and really inexpensive. The actually number is irrelevant. The increment increase you cannot see visually is small enough to be negligible.

The actual number is irrelevant? Do you mean the actual swing speed number?

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
kinetic energy is mass X velocity squared so speed is twice as important as weight of the bat. So swing the biggest bat possible without losing bat speed period.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I seem to remember reading a fairly in depth article that put it at about every 1 MPH added to bat speed = 10-12' of distance added to a hit.

The main focus of the article was that bat speed played a MUCH larger part than pitch speed. Basically, squelching the old "she's throwing hard so your going to hit it farther" line of reasoning.

I'll see if I can find the article, though it may be tough. Just one of those things I surfed upon by accident.

Yes the best way I have heard this explained is that we already intuitively know this, yet you will hear the old "(s)he barely swung, just let the pitcher supply all of the power" trotted out at many broadcasts. Heard this at LLWS most recently.

If we stop to think we know that many coaches can fungo a ball out of a park, the ball has zero velocity in the direction of what would be a pitch. OTOH, we know that a bunt isn't going to go out of the park even if the pitcher could throw 150mph.

The location the bat strikes the ball is also of importance.

Oct 14, 2008
So an 81 mph bat speed with the perfect pitch and perfect swing with the perfect conditions out side would equal a shot between 810 and 972 feet? There is an equation for this and im pretty sure it was Hitter that had it. I will poke a sharp stick in his cave and see if I can get an answer.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG