Bat speed radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am looking for a radar for checking bat speed. I don't want to spend over $150. What do you use or recommend?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Agree with Tim. Plus a good hitting coach should use one. It will tell you if what you are teaching is working. It was used to prove the grip change of a device like the bat jack works. Otherwise it is just someone's opinion.

Jul 26, 2010
Agreed with the above two posters. Totally changed my mind about underloading. I've seen 8 out of 10 kids improve their bat speed by more then 5mph doing underloading drills twice a week (and it's very possible the other two just didn't practice the drills).

-W

Jul 26, 2010
Like the swing speed radar as well. Stars what are the drills, that is great!!

The drills are pretty simple. 40 dry swings then 60 swings to a ball off a T twice a week with a bat -7 to -8 oz lighter then her primary game bat. The trick is finding a bat relatively close in length but still weighs less. There are some specialty products for this that run about $40, but we were able to find something at play it again sports that works. The important thing here is that the kids actually do their homework, it isn't enough to just to do it at hitting lessons.

Here's a link to a Candrea skill list for under loading if you want to mix it up a bit. My DD's hitting coach experiemented with a lot of this and found that just doing the swings above several times a week achieved the same speed increases as these drills, but some people like to be complex for the sake of complexity, so here's the link: Developing Bat Speed by Underloading By Mike Candrea and Jerry Stitt

-W

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The drills are pretty simple. 40 dry swings then 60 swings to a ball off a T twice a week with a bat -7 to -8 oz lighter then her primary game bat. The trick is finding a bat relatively close in length but still weighs less. There are some specialty products for this that run about $40, but we were able to find something at play it again sports that works. The important thing here is that the kids actually do their homework, it isn't enough to just to do it at hitting lessons.

Here's a link to a Candrea skill list for under loading if you want to mix it up a bit. My DD's hitting coach experiemented with a lot of this and found that just doing the swings above several times a week achieved the same speed increases as these drills, but some people like to be complex for the sake of complexity, so here's the link: Developing Bat Speed by Underloading By Mike Candrea and Jerry Stitt

-W

Thanks to all. I ordered the swing speed radar, should be here tomorrow.

I built our own bat for underloading. I took a 32 in piece of 1 inch pvc. Taped a 8 inch long piece of 1 1/2 inch pvc over sweet spot. Wrapped "handle" with hockey tape for grip, and wrapped a little extra tape on it to get it to 17 oz. We hit lite flights and foam golf balls with it.

Dd hit off season 1/3 with 30 oz bat, 1/3 with the 17 oz bat, 1/3 with game bat. In the last month and 1/2 we have stop using the heavy bat and just unload and game bats. I have to brag a little, she just turned 12... we hit bp at a park down the street Sunday, no fence, outfield slants up hill slightly, we had to run home and get the tape measure for her longest blast...231 feet!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan