Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
While browsing through craigslist looking at equipment for sale around the country, I noticed that certain places had lots of advertisements for Bat rolling services while others didn't have any. Makes me wonder how common it is to get a fastpitch bat rolled? I've never done it and quite frankly haven't seen a need to the way bats come hot out of the wrapper now a days anyway.

What's your experience with this?

May 17, 2012
You could be liable if your daughter injures a player with a rolled bat. You would also be banned from the respective organizations if caught.

It trickled down from adult slowpitch. Don't do it.

Mar 1, 2013
Wow, that article was just....wow.

ASA includes "rolled" in the list of things that would render a bat altered (ASA 3.1.H). USSSA also says this - rule 3 (Fast pitch section), "Altered Bat" paragraph 4.

Aug 20, 2013
I just thought it was interesting that certain places had tons of advertising for rolled bats. Makes me think that alot of people are likely using those services but who knows.

Dec 11, 2010
Bat rolling is illegal, unethical and probably not necessary.

Was at a NSA tournament last weekend, second baseman was hit/minor injury by batted ball due to bad hop, the bat was immediately taken out of play and secured by tournament director. Until he confirmed the kid was not injured after the game, he did not return the bat. I think there was testing in that bats future had she been injured seriously enough. While this incident was due to the field not the bat, you can see where this is going.

If some one gets caught using an altered bat I think they deserve all the punishment they get.

Mar 1, 2013
I just thought it was interesting that certain places had tons of advertising for rolled bats. Makes me think that alot of people are likely using those services but who knows.

True, it's advertised all over. People do it both in the adult game and I'm sure those heroes roll their daughter's bats. It's cheating no matter what.

The people who roll their bats would get better results from batting practice. Not only do you break in the bat but you get swings in and develop the muscle memory.

We (ubiquitous "we") are a lazy people - always looking for the shortcut. We don't want to eat better and exercise more, but we want to be thin and fit. We don't want to go to school, get educations and work hard, but we want that 6 figure salary. We want everyone thing NOW and are in debt up to our eyeballs. Shaving, rolling, etc. a softball bat is simply another manifestation.

Mar 1, 2013
If some one gets caught using an altered bat I think they deserve all the punishment they get.

I know that USSSA put entire sections about bat compliance and what happens if you are caught with an altered bat. Heck, you can get suspended for refusing to have your bat tested. The associations are taking it seriously. Yet people continue to cheat. Hopefully they'll start weeding themselves out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234