Baserunning ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
I know in a situation of:
Runner on 3rd, batter walks - the batter can NOT round 1st & stop - she is out. She has to stay on 1st base or take
2nd immediatly.

How about no one on the bases, same situation for the batter (walk) - are they still out if they round 1st & don't advance? I would say yes, still applies, right?

BACKSTORY:
My daughter is on a new 12U team this year & preparing for fall ball ALOT of the girls are rounding 1st on a walk in practice. I approached the coach & asked him "aren't they out for rounding on a walk? I thought that was the rule, are these rules different" (remember new team for us, don't want to ruffle feathers nor act like I know more)
My response from the AC was "oh yeah, I did hear something about that, I guess we will see if the ump calls it".

Then a mom tells me their girls are taught to round the bag on every situation, so they can't be out - that is how they are taught. Keep in mind, only 2 girls (mine is 1 of them) have ever played travel ball before.... good players - but no 10U travel team around for them.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know in a situation of:
Runner on 3rd, batter walks - the batter can NOT round 1st & stop - she is out. She has to stay on 1st base or take
2nd immediatly.

This is wrong, at least, in ASA, NFHS, ISF & NCAA.

How about no one on the bases, same situation for the batter (walk) - are they still out if they round 1st & don't advance? I would say yes, still applies, right?

It is wrong no matter how many are on whatever base.

BACKSTORY:
My daughter is on a new 12U team this year & preparing for fall ball ALOT of the girls are rounding 1st on a walk in practice. I approached the coach & asked him "aren't they out for rounding on a walk? I thought that was the rule, are these rules different" (remember new team for us, don't want to ruffle feathers nor act like I know more)
My response from the AC was "oh yeah, I did hear something about that, I guess we will see if the ump calls it".

Then a mom tells me their girls are taught to round the bag on every situation, so they can't be out - that is how they are taught. Keep in mind, only 2 girls (mine is 1 of them) have ever played travel ball before.... good players - but no 10U travel team around for them.

The BR may round the base anytime. "Rounding" a base means the player never stops at any point until she is prepared make a decision which way to go. A runner is given a second to find the ball and then make a decision. Each umpire has their own count as to when the commitment must be made, however, the term "immediately" as noted in the rule should not be taken literally to the point that the player doesn't get an opportunity to find a ball. OTOH, it shouldn't be more than a couple seconds, either. The time is to give the runner the opportunity to find the ball and decide. The umpire need not wait until they succeed.

If a runner stops on a base while the ball is in the circle, she would be out if she then leaves the base.

Also, each association provides a "laundry list" of what is or is not permissible for the runner to do AFTER running through 1B. Each has a little quirk that is different than the others, so you need to find that one on your own :)

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
It is ASA (sorry - should have clerified that)
Maybe you hit the nail on the head with:if the ball is in the pitchers hand, in the pitching circle - if she rounds 1st & stops... then she is out? That is due to the ball being in the circle?!?
I know I have seen that called more then once in our leagues & school ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It is ASA (sorry - should have clerified that)
Maybe you hit the nail on the head with:if the ball is in the pitchers hand, in the pitching circle - if she rounds 1st & stops... then she is out? That is due to the ball being in the circle?!?
I know I have seen that called more then once in our leagues & school ball.

No. A BR is allowed to round 1B, PERIOD!

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
Ok - did a little searching & from what I find if the pitcher is NOT "looking back" the batter that walked & rounded & stopped, she is out. If the pitcher is "looking her back, making a play, etc" it is a live ball & the pitching circle has disappeared.
Does that make more sense as to why I am seeing so many out on this call?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Makes sense, but I have NEVER seen a runner base on balls, round the base and STOP.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The rule is called the Look Back Rule, but it really has nothing to do with the pitcher looking the runner back. If the ball is in the circle in the pitchers control a base runner is allowed to round a bag, but she must immediately proceed to one bag or the other, So she can stop but she must immediately run toward the next base or return to the one she just rounded. If the pitcher attempts to make a play on her, the look back rule no longer applies. The runner on third can also be off the bag but must make the same choice once the ball is in the circle under the pitchers control, (and the batter has made it to first base) either immediately continue home, or retreat back to third.

Umpires who call girls out for simply rounding the bag on a walk don't understand the rule.

Jun 22, 2008
Ok - did a little searching & from what I find if the pitcher is NOT "looking back" the batter that walked & rounded & stopped, she is out. If the pitcher is "looking her back, making a play, etc" it is a live ball & the pitching circle has disappeared.
Does that make more sense as to why I am seeing so many out on this call?

Look Back is simply the name that has been applied to the rule, it has absolutely nothing to do with the pitcher "looking back" the runner. On a walk the rule is not in effect until the batter/runner reaches 1st base. If for any reason they stop at 1st, they must stay there, but, they are perfectly legal to round the base and stop. However, if no play is being made on them by the pitcher, they must then decide to either advance or return to 1st. Once they move they must continue non stop that direction unless the pitcher attempts to make a play on them.

If you are seeing players being called out for rounding and stopping, then the umpires apparently do not understand the rule or have been taught incorrectly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves