Baserunner question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Obviously there isnt, but, there is a rule about intentionally interfering with a thrown ball. If the umpire judges the runner to have purposely changed course and interfere with the throw guess what, they are out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And how do you know the runner isn't veering to on side of the bag for a hook or fade slide or a slide by/hand tag? And other than the facts that the runner isn't retired and doesn't have eyes in the back of their head and the umpire has to guess what the runner is thinking, its exactly like the retired runner situation you described. And isn't the baserunner allowed to take any path to the bag as long as they're not trying to avoid a tag? And while you're at it, you might as well start throwing out coaches for what he's thinking.

I know because I'm an intelligent human being with 46 years of experience watching runners going around the bases. It isn't hard to realize when a runner is attempting to interfere with a play instead of setting up their approach to a base.

You can raise all the "what if's" and TWP you want, it isn't going to change the ruling if it is determined the runner interfered with the play and, as previously stated, intent is not required, so I really don't need to read anyone's mind.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thank you gentleman. I'll return to my dugout before I get asked to leave. I suspect that we can agree that the umpire usually has the last say on matters of judgement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff