Barely Any At Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Is that blank response an acknowledgement that I am correct or an attempt to point out my stupidity to all of humanity (or to the 5 or so people who don't already know) ?

Jul 6, 2021
She's not a teenager either.
Is that blank response an acknowledgement that I am correct or an attempt to point out my stupidity to all of humanity (or to the 5 or so people who don't already know) ?
Haha, nope, just a toddler taking my phone, followed by me forgetting what I was doing after.

But she's an adult.

Oct 3, 2019
Several things come to mind.

First of all, you admit she doesn't reach base safely every time. Even though she doesn't strike out often, on base percentage and batting average are key to many TB coaches. College coaches, including my DD's will often say, 'If you can hit, we'll find a place on the field for you.'
Hitting, in general, means not only reaching base safely, but hitting for power, average and batting runs in.

With that said, at 12U, that's the age where it's all about player development. That means time in the circle if she's a pitcher, time behind the plate if she's a catcher, field time when not playing her primary position, at bats and overall learning the game and gaining game situational awareness as well as at bats.

As for players trying out and getting more at bats, I'd probably be doing the same thing. I'd want to see how they may add to the overall performance of the offensive capability of my team. But my parents would know beforehand what was about to happen since it would only happen that particular friendly/scrimmages/# of games.

In college, few if any Pitchers bat in the line-up. Why? Because in that age group and level of competition, they are too valuable as Pitchers than as another stick in the line-up which is far more prone to injury while on base.

In summary, without knowing all of the history, interactions between player and coach and a slew of other things, it's very difficult to offer meaningful advice. Who knows? The HC may think of himself as a future college coach. However, there is one meaningful piece of advice everyone that has been in this game as long as I have will tell you and your DD; if she wants more at bats, then she needs to work her tail off and become such a great hitter that it would be undeniably crazy for any coach not to move her to #3-#5 slot. If, and until that happens, you'll be stuck with the 1-2 AB's or you move teams.

I'm not making excuses for your coach because as far as I'm concerned, there is none. But, I am offering advice based on your situation.
How does she "improve" if not getting ABs in games? How is she supposed to earn more time if not given the opportunity to bat and show her improvement? And when she does get that 1 or 2 chances per weekend, how is she supposed to perform when she knows, her entire softball future is hanging on that ONE chance that has been bestowed on her? Who are these coaches that would do that to a child in that age group???

Jul 6, 2021
How does she "improve" if not getting ABs in games? How is she supposed to earn more time if not given the opportunity to bat and show her improvement? And when she does get that 1 or 2 chances per weekend, how is she supposed to perform when she knows, her entire softball future is hanging on that ONE chance that has been bestowed on her? Who are these coaches that would do that to a child in that age group???
My thoughts exactly. She feels like if she doesn't hit a bomb, then she won't get another at bat. How am I supposed to tell her that's not true when in the back of my mind I think it might be?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm not making any excuses for the coach. I'm only trying to introduce other thoughts into the discussion that we know very little about other than what has been told to us by a parent which is only one side of the story. For all we know, this player could be batting 9th in the line-up due to a sub .100 BA, the team sucks and has such a tough time on defense that they only get 2 innings in and it's only the 3rd game that she actually gets to bat. Long and short of it is many parents want to complain and wring their hands about a situation that can only be solved by hard work and dedication. I'm not saying this is the case here, I'm not saying the coach is right because, IMO, he/she isn't, I'm just saying we're only getting one side of the story. As I said earlier, there are many of us coaches on here that bat the line-up whenever possible. There are also many on here that don't for whatever reason. Right or wrong doesn't matter in those situations. Some parents will want my coaching style and be completely happy with it. Others may not like it because it doesn't foster enough competitive drive amongst the players to get better. There's a team out there for everyone. The corollary is there's a coach and coaching style for everyone. Often times you can't control the circumstances you find yourself in, you can only control how you react to them. In this case, she can stay and work her tail off hoping that the coach notices during practices and her occasional at bat or she can find a new team. Those are the only 2 choices since the coach won't respond or sit down to discuss it.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My thoughts exactly. She feels like if she doesn't hit a bomb, then she won't get another at bat. How am I supposed to tell her that's not true when in the back of my mind I think it might be?
Because it's not. Any coach worth a darn looks at the Offensive stats and moves his players around the batting order accordingly. The higher in the batting order a player bats, the more at bats the player gets usually. There's also a pretty standardized "requirement" of each spot. As an example, 1st at bat you want your player with the highest on base percentage because you need baserunners. Batting 2nd you want a combination of speed, bunting capability and 2nd/3rd best batting average (or lefty slapper) to advance the #1 baserunner if they got on or to get on base themselves. Batting 3rd I want my player with the best batting average on the team to hit in the other baserunners. #4 is the biggest hitter on the team (highest slugging percentage). #5 is the second biggest hitter on the team to protect #4 from a walk. Etc., Etc. Hitting bombs her 1 or 2 at bats would be nice but unrealistic IMO. As you can see from the above batting order I like to use, the first 3 out of 5 spots are based on batting average or on base percentage. Thus, the best thing she can do for herself is reach base safely as many times as possible to improve both statistics. Then the coach should move her up the batting order accordingly. If not, move on.

Jul 6, 2021
I'm not making any excuses for the coach. I'm only trying to introduce other thoughts into the discussion that we know very little about other than what has been told to us by a parent which is only one side of the story. For all we know, this player could be batting 9th in the line-up due to a sub .100 BA, the team sucks and has such a tough time on defense that they only get 2 innings in and it's only the 3rd game that she actually gets to bat. Long and short of it is many parents want to complain and wring their hands about a situation that can only be solved by hard work and dedication. I'm not saying this is the case here, I'm not saying the coach is right because, IMO, he/she isn't, I'm just saying we're only getting one side of the story. As I said earlier, there are many of us coaches on here that bat the line-up whenever possible. There are also many on here that don't for whatever reason. Right or wrong doesn't matter in those situations. Some parents will want my coaching style and be completely happy with it. Others may not like it because it doesn't foster enough competitive drive amongst the players to get better. There's a team out there for everyone. The corollary is there's a coach and coaching style for everyone. Often times you can't control the circumstances you find yourself in, you can only control how you react to them. In this case, she can stay and work her tail off hoping that the coach notices during practices and her occasional at bat or she can find a new team. Those are the only 2 choices since the coach won't respond or sit down to discuss it.
Unfortunately, they don't bat the lineup in friendlies. Sometimes they bat just 9, sometimes 10 or 11. It makes no sense. They will usually flex my DD in friendlies.

Jun 20, 2015
said before, saying again. on first year 12u squad, there is no acceptable excuse to not roster bat. especially during meaningless friendlies. Get a legit explanation from coach ASAP. (actually any age, but I can see it a little in older aged teams, but again not in friendlies).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish