Barely Any At Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2021
My DD stopped getting at bats in 14U. She was the P1. I think it bothered me more than it did her. She became PO, and does not enjoy hitting. Did not seem to make a difference during recruiting, and on her current 18U team only 1 pitcher hits.

There are a lot of pitchers that hit though, and if she enjoys it find a team where that happens. At the very least she deserves a fair shot and there are many times where the entire roster bats. I mean this is 12U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, right now she loves hitting. She doesn't care where in the lineup she bats, she just wants to be in the lineup and get an opportunity.

But I'm glad to hear that being a pitcher that hits doesn't seem to hinder them for recruitment.

Jul 6, 2021
How many players are on this 12U roster? Is this a So Cal org?
Also, I would relay to the coach's dad that she has been unresponsive to your text messages. Totally unprofessional. I would also hint that your DD not happy with current situation and might have to look elsewhere. I will bet dollars to doughnuts she will get ABs.
Yep, it's a socal org, currently 13 on the roster but they are still looking to add one or two more I think. I agree that it is unprofessional to not get a response.

I will be talking to him in person about it tomorrow when she has her lesson with him. I am hoping something good comes out of it.

Jun 8, 2016
She should definitely be getting more ABs, so this shouldn’t matter much, but realistically where would you rank her in terms of the hitters on the team? If you cannot tell educate yourself enough so that you can tell for future use…

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yep, it's a socal org, currently 13 on the roster but they are still looking to add one or two more I think. I agree that it is unprofessional to not get a response.

I will be talking to him in person about it tomorrow when she has her lesson with him. I am hoping something good comes out of it.
13 is enough players for 12U.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not necessarily true.
Softball is not baseball.

Pitchers who can hang with #2-#6 in the lineup are gold.

Absolutely! Every team my DD has played on has had pitchers who are a regular part of the batting order. On her current 18U team, the #1 P bats in the 4 spot, and one of the other Ps bats 6. They also play other positions besides P. We only have one P who is primarily just a P, but she bats at friendlies, most pool games, and plays OF when our roster is thin.

If your 11yo is being slotted as a P-only, it's time to find a new team...now! 12U is a time to be developing as an all-around ballplayer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yeah, right now she loves hitting. She doesn't care where in the lineup she bats, she just wants to be in the lineup and get an opportunity.

But I'm glad to hear that being a pitcher that hits doesn't seem to hinder them for recruitment.

As you say, it is hard to show what you got if you only get 1 at bat every three games even when it matter even less than 12U tourney game/bracket day games (which also don't really mean all that much). You can work hard - but if your playing time competition is also working hard and in the lineup every game it is hard find a way to get an opportunity.

And yes, my DD is in college and pitches, plays in the infield when she isn't pitching and hits either at either 3 or 6. If you can swing the stick, they find a way to get you in the lineup.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Many pitchers stop getting ABs in college, but I know of a Div I pitcher last year who was in the batting lineup regardless of whether she was pitching. Don't let anyone tell you that a pitcher doesn't hit at 12U, or even 18U. I can't count how many great hitters I've seen at those ages who were also pitchers.

As others have mentioned, roster batting should be the norm at 12U. As you move along, unless you have a batter who just isn't capable against the competition you'll see, trying to predict which "nine" will be your best is usually crap-shoot. If everyone is competent at the plate, you never know who will have a big game.

Aug 25, 2019
I may have missed it, but why is your DD only getting 1 AB in three games?....If she's pitching a game, isnt she in the lineup? Even if she is last, she should get at least two, (unless it's roster hitting) And if she's playing first, isnt she also in the lineup?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy