Bad pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2023
@laurag and any other catchers having this issue of ball not staying in glove.

The angle of the catcher's glove
aka How catcher is presenting their glove.
How their arm is being utilized.
Are also important factors.
If you would like to have the people send video clip to me I'd be happy to do an assessment with feedback.
That’s nice of you, actually my daughter is in her 1st year of travel pitching and her team actually hasn’t started playing yet, she’s just been subbing all fall so she can continue to get reps. Why catchers are dropping so many 3rds I don’t know. DD does induce a lot of weak hits when contact is made on her pitches, does that affect catching I.e. placement, spin, drop? I’m no expert. She is by no means throwing level pitches, for her age experience, she’s not even capable of that.

May 13, 2023
does that affect catching I.e. placement, spin, drop? I’m no expert.
Spin is something all of the defense has to contend with including the catcher on pitches. The location along with the spin and speed are factors.
This is why I previously commented on mechanics.
Screenshot_20240106-154112_Chrome.jpg

Another thing sometimes catchers do that causes mishandling the ball is paddling their glove at the ball. Sort of like popping it towards the ball as the ball is coming in and that can dislodge the ball from staying in the glove.
( I do not agree with paddling at the ball, that would be like a ping pong paddle paddling towards the ball no thank you)

May 13, 2021
If you are playing travel ball. Past first year 10u there should be very few dropped 3rd strikes that end up with a runner safe at 1st base. The catcher’s should be putting in as much work at their position outside of practice as the pitchers are. If that is not the case she is on the wrong team.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
As the parent of a pitcher I can tell you that a pitcher being wild isn't a great concern, a dropped 3rd strike on the other hand...
I can absolutely second this. I've caught some absolutely lights out pitchers who could throw the softball through a barn door yet paint the corners like Michealanglo. Yet, I've caught pitchers that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it was painted florescent orange. It's a great workout to catch a pitcher who misses way high. At least I can skip leg day on the days I have one of those pitchers.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Another thing sometimes catchers do that causes mishandling the ball is paddling their glove at the ball. Sort of like popping it towards the ball as the ball is coming in and that can dislodge the ball from staying in the glove.
( I do not agree with paddling at the ball, that would be like a ping pong paddle paddling towards the ball no thank you)
Paddling the ball is something that drives me nuts, too. I mean, I'm guilty of doing it, too but its a rarity that I do. It happens when I badly misread a ball coming in. I so much prefer hearing a good, hard thud when the ball hits the pocket of my glove.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
At the younger levels what I often see is a catcher's mitt that is not well broken in, typically it's fairly new. Couple this with a small hand and the ball will hit the middle of the mitt and pop put onto the ground. And one other thing that I often see which makes me a little crazy is a first baseman not setting up properly for a dropped 3rd throw from the catcher. Setting up in foul territory and using the red base makes the throw a lot easier, vs making the catcher throw over the runner.

Jun 18, 2023
At the younger levels what I often see is a catcher's mitt that is not well broken in, typically it's fairly new. Couple this with a small hand and the ball will hit the middle of the mitt and pop put onto the ground.

I think it's insane that there's a dropped third strike rule in MLB, never mind middle-low levels of softball.

May 13, 2023
I think it's insane that there's a dropped third strike rule in MLB, never mind middle-low levels of softball.
Lol unless people like batters getting on base because of errors...🙂🤦‍♀️
it's worse at that higher level that they wouldn't be able to handle the ball cleanly.
Along with play the ball cleanly,
The rule adds situational game awareness for both offense and defense.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Lol unless people like batters getting on base because of errors...🙂🤦‍♀️
it's worse at that higher level that they wouldn't be able to handle the ball cleanly.
Along with play the ball cleanly,
The rule adds situational game awareness for both offense and defense.

That's not why the rule exists.

What I don't like is people getting on base for swinging and missing at good pitches. You're out, sit down. This isn't the 1880s, the pitcher isn't obligated to throw you a ball easy to "strike" at.

May 13, 2023
That's not why the rule exists.
You're welcome to add your explanation __________ .

I used these examples of what it does for the game.
✔️It does add situational awareness!
✔️It creates a situation where the ball has to be played cleanly to get the out.
What I don't like is people getting on base for swinging and missing at good pitches.
✔️If the ball was played cleanly they wouldn't get on base for swinging and missing!

The rule forces a clean play to get the out.
Like it or not it's there. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad