Attempt to avoid being hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I teach all of the girls how to be properly hit. I demonstrate how to turn into a pitch. I have one of them chunk a tennis ball at me (how they love hitting the coach!) and then I hit all of them with the tennis ball. Doesn't hurt, they know how to do it, all is well. If they get hit, which sometimes happens, one of the things we talk about (after the tears cease, we make sure all is well, etc.) is whether or not they turned the right way. Big grins when someone did exactly as they should, because they know it has kept them safe in the long run.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Can someone quote the rulebook (NFHS, pref.,) on the batter's obligation to move? I remember it as "can't intentionally get hit" (e.g. lean into the pitch) vs. have to make a move to get out of the way. I had a HS coach for years swear that there was no rule in the book saying the batter had to try to avoid the pitch. All of my batters turn away from the pitch, and we have had a few umpires who have refused to give them the base because the pitch was slow enough that they could have stepped away.

Jun 22, 2008
FED 8-2b penalties. 1. The ball is dead. The batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out. If no attempt is made to avoid being hit or there is an obvious attempt to get hit by the pitch, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it is ball four.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom