Assign error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2013
Runner on 1st, ball is hit and fielded by SS who tags 2nd for a force out and throws to 1st attempting double play. 1B is not positioned on inside of bag and ball bounces off batter/runner as they cross the bag and over the fence. Batter/runner is awarded 2nd due to ball being out of play, same as if it had rolled in a dugout. Should there be an error assigned to anyone on this play?

I would probably score this a throwing error on the SS causing the player to advance to 2B she reached 1B base on a FC since the double play is not assumed, but I don't claim to be an official scorekeeper

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I would probably score this a throwing error on the SS causing the player to advance to 2B she reached 1B base on a FC since the double play is not assumed, but I don't claim to be an official scorekeeper

Without being there, I have the same.

Add:

Unless the throw is online and doesn't short-hop., I normally assign the error to the throw to establish consistency.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Was your 3 player anywhere near the bag to get the throw? If the ball hit the runner as she crossed and made it over the fence I'm guessing it did not short hop and had the 3 been in position it might very well have been an out. Was this a bunt slap scenario where the corners played in perhaps not giving the 3 time to get back in position?

Apr 18, 2013
No, ball glanced off glove of 3B before SS made play at 2nd, 1B was not involved and ball did not short hop. 1B was in the area of the bag.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
5-6 force out at 2nd, E6 on the throw allowing runner to advance to 2nd.

I vote this.

There's no question that it's a forceout and an error. The only debate is whether to assign the error to the SS or 1B. ... IMO, you don't assign errors because fielders are not where you, the scorekeeper, think they should be. Rather, you judge the throw based on where the fielder actually is. Given the position of the first baseman, it was a bad throw.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It could be a good throw and hit runner before 1st could get it, in which case no error right?

Hitting a baserunner with a thrown ball is an error if it results in a runner reaching a base that he would not have reached. In scoring, you have to explain how the runner advances to each base. It has to be a double, a stolen base, an error, etc. The reason this runner advanced is because of something that the fielder did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl