Assign error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I vote this.

There's no question that it's a forceout and an error. The only debate is whether to assign the error to the SS or 1B. ... IMO, you don't assign errors because fielders are not where you, the scorekeeper, think they should be. Rather, you judge the throw based on where the fielder actually is. Given the position of the first baseman, it was a bad throw.

There is an excption to this rule. If a cacther throws down on a steal but nobody covers the bag and the runner advances to 3rd the error can be charged to the 2B/SS who was responsible for covering the bag. At least I think that is an exception. Otherwise I agree with it whole heartedly.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There is an excption to this rule. If a cacther throws down on a steal but nobody covers the bag and the runner advances to 3rd the error can be charged to the 2B/SS who was responsible for covering the bag. At least I think that is an exception. Otherwise I agree with it whole heartedly.

I would rule that an error on the catcher. I base that on this excerpt from MLB rules -

''The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise.''

I can't find a rule the prescribes otherwise. MLB adds this as a similar example: ''The official scorer shall not charge an error if the pitcher fails to cover first base on a play.''

If there is an exception, I hope someone will report it. One thing about scoring is that as soon as you think you understand something, you find out it's not so clear-cut.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm probably wrong then. I seem to have heard MLB broadcasters talking about it but they might be wrong or my memory could be hazy.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would rule that an error on the catcher. I base that on this excerpt from MLB rules -

''The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise.''

I can't find a rule the prescribes otherwise. MLB adds this as a similar example: ''The official scorer shall not charge an error if the pitcher fails to cover first base on a play.''

If there is an exception, I hope someone will report it. One thing about scoring is that as soon as you think you understand something, you find out it's not so clear-cut.

Also E2 under NCAA scoring rules IMO. As noone was covering the base it doesn't fall under the following....

14.21.5 When a throw is made to a base and more than one fielder could have
received the throw but neither did, an error is charged to the fielder who
should have received the throw.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't know how you guys fit all that writing in those little boxes!:)
I have heard many coaches teach catchers to throw down regardless of whether 2B is covered because the SS (or whoever they have assigned to cover it) should arrive in time to make the play. In my book, if the catcher throws down and the base isn't covered its a mental mistake AND error on the fielder who is out of position. In college games, I don't think I've seen the SS get to 2B before the C has uncorked the throw.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If it's a play at 1st and the #3 didn't charge a bunt but failed to be in place AND could of been AND the throw was to the base, E3.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't know how you guys fit all that writing in those little boxes!:)
I have heard many coaches teach catchers to throw down regardless of whether 2B is covered because the SS (or whoever they have assigned to cover it) should arrive in time to make the play. In my book, if the catcher throws down and the base isn't covered its a mental mistake AND error on the fielder who is out of position. In college games, I don't think I've seen the SS get to 2B before the C has uncorked the throw.

Runner goes, catcher throws. Seemingly unfair, but the catcher gets the E while the 2B or SS gets the lecture from the coach.

I would say it depends where the 1st baseman is positioned .... You said "1b wasnt positioned on the inside of the part of the bag" where was she positioned? was she able to catch the ball or was she not there at all? Could she have caught the throw with reasonable effort?

Also after reading Most of these replies most of us need to take a scoring class online before we pickup the score book lol scoring an error has nothing and I repeat nothing to do with what you think or believe happened it is about who is at fault either thrower or catcher and yes mental mistekes are not errors .... I remember when manny rameriz was with the redsox and wanted to be traded .....fly ball maybe 15 feet from him .... He didnt move and let the ball roll all the way to the fence. He was not charged with an error because he didnt attempt to catch the ball ..... Now is that right in my mind hell no but as a scorer it is a double..

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have heard many coaches teach catchers to throw down regardless of whether 2B is covered because the SS (or whoever they have assigned to cover it) should arrive in time to make the play. In my book, if the catcher throws down and the base isn't covered its a mental mistake AND error on the fielder who is out of position. .

An error is not the same thing as a mistake. An error is a scoring term that describes a physical misplay of the ball. A mistake encompasses that and much more. Scorers decide who made the error. Coaches decide who made the mistake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl