ASA rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Why is it $10 per team? Wow, that's a lot. I guess the tournament software was developed by someone trying to make a profit.

It's a very good program. Virtually all USSSA tournaments produce scores and results that can be seen online. Wish that ASA would do that. It would promote their qualifiers and nationals.
Perhaps Ajaywill or MTR can provide insight on why ASA charges an additional fee for it on top of the sanctioning fees. It should be covered in bids for ASA/USA Nats and mandatory that it be used.

I know a college coach that was very frustrated last year at ASA/USA 16A Nats because they weren't using it and he couldn't get results in a timely basis. Being able to see results for just about every other event going on just rubbed salt in the wound.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Perhaps Ajaywill or MTR can provide insight on why ASA charges an additional fee for it on top of the sanctioning fees. It should be covered in bids for ASA/USA Nats and mandatory that it be used.

I know a college coach that was very frustrated last year at ASA/USA 16A Nats because they weren't using it and he couldn't get results in a timely basis. Being able to see results for just about every other event going on just rubbed salt in the wound.

Amen. I've been similarly frustrated. I love ASA, and I don't mean this as a criticism. I don't know all the obstacles. But I would love to see the ASA market and publicize their nationals from the qualifiers on up. Make it easy to find where these events are being played, and then post the draws and scores for all of them. Have national rankings. Treat it like a big deal, because it is and should be. I can find the results of B-level tournaments played in little towns in North Carolina, but not ASA qualifiers played in Raleigh. That should not be.

Mar 28, 2013
These ranking don't take into account the age group the team plays in vs your teams registered age. My DDs team played mostly 14A as a 12 A team until championship/ nationals but the record in 14A counted in 12A Rankings. Garbage in garbage out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I completely agree, but there was a thread a few months back about some guy ranking all of the 10U teams in SC or NC based on a computer ranking system he developed and a lot of folks on here thought that was really cool.:confused: How is this any different?

IMO, it is not. None of them are worth a damn and I really don't care who produces them

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Couldn't tell you anything other than ASA doesn't give anything away. Every umpire awards program costs the umpire something. Pass a rule to have people background checked, make them pay whether they agree with it or not.

Nothing is free, nor inexpensive.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Couldn't tell you anything other than ASA doesn't give anything away. Every umpire awards program costs the umpire something. Pass a rule to have people background checked, make them pay whether they agree with it or not.

Nothing is free, nor inexpensive.

The background checks are a joke and easily defeated.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IMO, it is not. None of them are worth a damn and I really don't care who produces them

With due respect, this year's rankings from North Carolina were the exception. They had trouble ranking the 18U/16U teams because they play so many showcases and out-of-state tournaments, and results were hard to gather and evaluate since they often were played against out-of-state teams. But for 14U/12U/10U/8U (yes, even 8U), the rankings were very solid. They were based on results from all tournaments played in the state (USSSA, USFA, ASA, NSA). If results and scores are made available, you can have meaningful rankings. The challenge is getting those results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose