As September 1st draws near...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
As the 2021 communication period opens what if you have choices?
Do you choose the school at the level DD wants to play at that offers the most money?
The team may not be great but DD will play.
What about the school that's a reach but they want your DD but offer much less than the weaker team?
Major is important but what if DD is not dead set on a major just yet?
Do you jump on the first juicy offer or wait and risk losing a great offer to a different player?
2021 is really the first year where the new recruiting rules have impacted in a big way. Most 2020s were just about done the process when the rule changed.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As the 2021 communication period opens what if you have choices? Academics should be the first thing that you consider when choosing a school. Will your DD be happy going to that school if softball is no longer part of the equation?

Do you choose the school at the level DD wants to play at that offers the most money? More important to figure out the total out of pocket costs that works with your financial situation rather than what they give you.

The team may not be great but DD will play. Playing for a losing program is difficult in many ways. Winning solves a lot problems.

What about the school that's a reach but they want your DD but offer much less than the weaker team? How do you know how much each school is going to offer? Does she want to chase fair balls or foul balls the first couple of years?

Major is important but what if DD is not dead set on a major just yet? Choose the school that has the best choice of majors in case she changes.

Do you jump on the first juicy offer or wait and risk losing a great offer to a different player? Only if it's the best fit.
2021 is really the first year where the new recruiting rules have impacted in a big way. Most 2020s were just about done the process when the rule changed.

Good luck!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As the 2021 communication period opens what if you have choices?
Do you choose the school at the level DD wants to play at that offers the most money?
The team may not be great but DD will play.
What about the school that's a reach but they want your DD but offer much less than the weaker team?
Major is important but what if DD is not dead set on a major just yet?
Do you jump on the first juicy offer or wait and risk losing a great offer to a different player?

It is going to be different to every player, but it has to be DD led based on family situation. Yes, it is has a major family decision and guidance component, but if it is NOT mainly your DD's decision the chances of it going poorly are REALLY high.

I am often surprised with what many of our players end up deciding.

You hear all the time - "Will your DD be happy at this school without softball?"
Way too many people still don't take this seriously no matter how many times they are told. It is a major, major mistake.

All the 'no more money' talk is garbage - it is just a pressure tactic. Don't let your DD just jump on the first offer - unless it is dream school and an awesome offer. If one coach wants you, another will to. Don't chase coaches - there is a 1/3 chance the coach will leave before you spend a day at the school and a 4/5 chance they wont be the coach by graduation. And those numbers are conservative.

Things that ACTUALLY should matter:

Academics... wide range of programs if undecided, understand program current players are in and if they are on course to graduate
Finances... out of pocket is the number you need to be looking at.
College setting:
Metro, in town, remote, rural, college town, etc, etc... You are going to be spending 4 years here. If you can't stand it week 3 it is going to suck
Size of School, class size, options
Location (As freshman most are 'attend college away from home'.. by seniors 80% want to stay local or at least local-ish

Softball SHOULD be in the top 10 because it is going to be a lot of time - but for most it should be somewhere between 6 and 10. And yes decisions like "Will I play from day 1" or "Will I have to wait a year" or "What division do I want to/capable of playing", "I am OK/Not OK sitting on the bench at a D1" will have an impact and even things like "Is the field on campus?"/"How much do we travel", "What is the practice schedule on/off season"- but it is going to be different for every player. Not what you or I think is the best situation or decision points - that may not be all that critical to your DD and what she wants to do..

Nothing has really changed from before. Recruiting is just now compressed which is not necessarily to your DD's advantage.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Dd (2021) is looking at high academic schools and she has both DI and DIII choices on her list. We most likely will have to wait until a few months after the magic date to know if she can even get into these schools (waiting on SAT scores). Grades-wise she’s there but the SAT and AP testing play a big part in that. She has a bunch of interest from her top choices if she can get in. These schools have said they can give her a good read (academically) more towards spring.

For her it’s definitely academics first as she wants to get into a great graduate program for her desired major after undergrad. We did some campus visits this summer during camps to be sure that she liked the schools and the atmosphere.

Money-wise dh and I have agreed that if a certain team at a specific school wants her and no matter what they could offer,, we’d still give her the opportunity to go there just because of the doors it can open later in life.

She took her SATs this past Saturday so hoping for a good result!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Dd (2021) is looking at high academic schools and she has both DI and DIII choices on her list. We most likely will have to wait until a few months after the magic date to know if she can even get into these schools (waiting on SAT scores). Grades-wise she’s there but the SAT and AP testing play a big part in that. She has a bunch of interest from her top choices if she can get in. These schools have said they can give her a good read (academically) more towards spring.

For her it’s definitely academics first as she wants to get into a great graduate program for her desired major after undergrad. We did some campus visits this summer during camps to be sure that she liked the schools and the atmosphere.

For many of the higher academic schools you often have to wait until early admission acceptances in December of their senior year before you are committed. Coaches can often support applications which help, but there are no guarentees.

This is actually what my DD and a couple of her teammates are currently waiting for.

For a school like MIT athletics have NO effect on admissions - their coaches have to recruit players they THINK will get through admissions and those that do - that is their team.

May 27, 2013
For many of the higher academic schools you often have to wait until early admission acceptances in December of their senior year before you are committed. Coaches can often support applications which help, but there are no guarentees.

This is actually what my DD and a couple of her teammates are currently waiting for.

For a school like MIT athletics have NO effect on admissions - their coaches have to recruit players they THINK will get through admissions and those that do - that is their team.

Yes. Heard that as well. A couple of schools did also mention early July after junior year as a point in which they can say we’re pretty sure you have an excellent chance of getting in. But you are correct - it is not guaranteed.

These schools have said that they lose good recruits all the time to less academic programs because they get extremely nervous about the admissions process and the other schools can offer earlier.

Jun 7, 2016
BT,
I found with DD1 that using schools estimated cost calculator provided a reasonable estimate of aid package expected. Not every school, but most have a statement saying whether their aid meets financial need as shown by EFC. Were it me I would use that estimate to approach coach and say, "Hey, here is what the school is going to give me based on my financial situation, how can you supplement it?" I am sure some will others wont but it gives you some idea of the final Total Cost of Attendance you will be required to pay. Also, you may be able to push coach to get financial aid office to show you a final package of aid if the coach truly wants DD on roster.
I will echo from experience that getting the proper fit is imperative to making DD happy (and thus productive) during her time at college.
Best of luck come 9/1!

Apr 16, 2013
My DD is a '21 and I admit I'm wondering what will happen next week. Really it's just one school. My DD has been sending emails to 3, all D1; but only one she's what I'd call "serious" about. It's our local college. She's been going there since she was 6 doing dance recitals, my sons band concerts, etc etc. She's basically been going there for 10 years so it's like "home" to her. I believe she made a huge impression at her last camp there and the batting coach responded to one of her emails with camp invites. I think that's an indicator that they're interested in her. The biggest thing is it has her career path. If she graduates from there she's guaranteed into their DPT program, which is what she knows she wants to do. Academics won't be an issue. Based off what my son was offered, she should qualify for a large academic scholarship so hoping she would get the rest covered with a softball scholarship. She doesn't have to live there, it's literally a ten minute drive down the road, so she's all in for this school. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Feb 17, 2014
#1 decision maker for my DD will be education. Does the school offer a good degree in what she wants to major in. She is fortunate that she has known what she wants to do for a long time. So, she's only emailed and shown interest in schools that have degree programs for her desired major.

We're just wondering how all of this is going to go down. We are going into Sunday with no expectations. We assume she's going to hear from less than 10 but more than 3 schools based on who's been talking to her coach the last couple of years and who's come to watch her play. It is a big unknown for us though. I'm sure it is for a lot of people.

Is she going to get calls at 12:01am? Are they going to make offers with this initial call? Are they going to ask her to come in for an official visit before they make any offers? Her pitching coach is a former D1 player and she's pretty sure no offers will be made over the phone. They want to do that in person. So, that means this process doesn't end quickly.

DD is beyond anxious that's for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying