Are You Hurting Your Daughter’s Recruiting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Are You Hurting Your Daughter

Are You Hurting Your Daughter’s Recruiting?

July 5, 2015 By Denny Tincher

We can say things out loud that colleges have to keep quiet. Because we have dozens of kids recruited every single year, we talk to a lot of college coaches. It used to be they spent the entire time talking about the kid. Now, one of the first things they ask is, “Tell me about the parents”.

In an age where lawsuits abound, kids jump from travel team to travel team looking for utopia, and some parents can’t stand for their daughter not to be the star, things have changed drastically. It used to be that, if a kid was not entirely happy at a college, she simply found a better fit. That is the way it should be. However, today there is a huge trend for parents to hire lawyers to go after schools, begin petition drives to remove coaches, or threaten the athletic department with bad publicity.
Face it. Softball is generally not a revenue-generating sport, so these schools don’t have a lot of incentive to stand behind the coaches, trainers, or whoever is being targeted. Coaches face liability for injuries, they sometimes drive vans full of kids, they have to make decisions on whether a kid is healthy enough to play even when she insists on going on the field, every word they say can be scrutinized, and in an environment where they are around kids 24/7 for weeks in the spring, it’s easy for someone to find a tiny little mis-step that a lawyer can leverage into something big.
So, if your daughter is being scouted, chances are that the coaches know exactly who you are and they are watching you closely for signs of trouble. They can even go so far as to find travel teams you abandoned to get their story. Or, they are watching for exciting signs, like great sportsmanship, supportive behaviors, and someone who doesn’t react to the highs and lows of the game.
Does this mean you should clean up your act at games? If you have to ask yourself that question, you are already deep in the swamp. It’s not about creating a false persona, but examining the way you are raising the kid. Does she accept responsibility for her actions or do you blame everyone else for failures? Do you let her think for herself, or stand on the sidelines shouting instructions constantly? Do you encourage her to persist and push for higher things, or simply jump travel teams every time the wind changes? It may occur to you that, as we discuss these things, it seems that we are discussing life lessons more than just considering how they approach a game.
If your kid performs well, but is strangely not being recruited, look in the mirror. The problem could be closer than you want to admit.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Do we really need the BS lawyer bashing? The fact is it's the parents who are the problem and they are going to be a problem no matter what. Can you find cases of parents suing? I'm sure you can but it's so rare as to be ridiculous.
Sorry for the rant - but I get sick of the bashing

Jan 20, 2011
Another great contribution JAD.

Denny's stuff is always on point. I would also add that social media has very much become a window into what's really going on with recruits and their parents. Schools will regularly check into potential recruit's Instagram, Twitter, Facebook ,etc..as well as mom and dad's.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Jan 20, 2011
Although I too have seen some pretty extreme cases, I think the spirit of the article speaks to the potentially negative effect even well-meaning parents can have on their DD's recruiting process.

There is no one way to get recruited. There are no guarantees. And generally speaking that makes parents a little bit nervous...... And some a little crazy. .... And some come off,for lack of a better, overbearing and and a tad bit controlling.

We all want to know the rules - Both written as well as the unspoken. Unfortunately the latter changes from situation to situation. And there are countless contradictions along the way.

It's hard to decipher, for sure. some schools want to know all about the student and the parents via the travel ball coaches while some schools don't like travel ball coaches as a group and want them out of the process as quickly as possible.

Some coaches are very patient in Establishing a rapport with the family as well as the perspective player while others are looking for an assertive personality that speaks for themselves.

Some coaches love an email bio introduction while others figure it was just a well-crafted form letter that the parents probably wrote themselves and they hit "delete."

Videos, camps, Stat books that parents put together to impress, coaches with dated information and obsolete contacts, whispers about which are the right tournaments to go to, and all along the way it's costing you money. .....Maybe more than your kid's actual cost of education.

Taking all of that into consideration, it then becomes a game of musical chairs. And no one wants their kid left standing. The clock ticks very loud between the ages of 14-18.

I wish I had a better roadmap for those just beginning the process but I will leave you with a couple of things I have learned.

Beware of anyone who speaks in absolutes or offering guarantees. The process is far too organic to simplify any aspect.

Beware of anyone making money on the recruiting process itself. There are far too many things that can be done that are free of charge. specifically phone calls. Emails are ok. but if your kid is not willing to pick up the phone and speak to a coach maybe this is not the right fit.

And last, check yourself..... Continually. If you are in the recruiting process for more than a year- you should be your kid personal assistant. In other words they should be driving this process. Not you. If they are not, that should be telling you something as well.

Happy hunting fellow crazy parents.

Sorry for the hijack but it does Relate

H

Homalosa

I can attest to that! After my daughter's team took 2nd in PGF last year, PGF followed ME on Instagram, so I had a little house keeping to do.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Some advice to parents of recruits who go to showcase tournaments:

- KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. The more coaches hear mommy and daddy on the sidelines, the less interest they'll have in your kid.

- Cheer for the team, not for the individual.

- Stay positive.

- Don't hang out with your daughter between games. Let her stay with her team and socialize.

- Don't approach college coaches. Most of them are prohibited from talking to you off campus, and they expect you to know this already. Let your club coaches do the talking. If they're not doing that, your daughter is on the wrong team.

- Social media is VERY important. Keep your online profiles clean and free of complaints, inappropriate pictures, and negativity. This goes for the player and the parents. If you're not monitoring your daughter's online activities, you should be.

- Remember that as good as your daughter may be, college coaches have a huge pool of talent to choose from. Stay humble and let your daughter's on- and off-field performance speak for itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805