Anyone have thoughts on this Twitter thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA

And I like what Danielle O'Toole had to say about this as well (just a bit further down in that same Twitter feed...

"I’m realizing that there’s a lot of ppl who just want speed. Velocity doesn’t win championships on its own. Stop focusing on training ur kids to throw hard & focus on how to get ppl out. 21 of them. You wana win games? Find what makes YOU effective & work like hell to perfect it."

Jun 8, 2016
And I like what Danielle O'Toole had to say about this as well (just a bit further down in that same Twitter feed...

"I’m realizing that there’s a lot of ppl who just want speed. Velocity doesn’t win championships on its own. Stop focusing on training ur kids to throw hard & focus on how to get ppl out. 21 of them. You wana win games? Find what makes YOU effective & work like hell to perfect it."
I don't have an opinion (my kid doesn't pitch) other than I want every pitcher (except the ones on my DD's team) to suck..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For your consideration this~
Once a batter has timing.
Pitch speed is irrelevant.
(Any Consistant speed wont matter)

Locations
Spins
Speeds
Mix them all up 👍🥳

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Speed is not everything, but it will get you recruited. 70 mph is a golden ticket. Even if its dead straight. The college coach sees 70 mph and think he or she can teach them movement and off speed. Also, many hitters simply cannot catch up to 70 mph. I would guess that 70 mph would dominate at most non top 25 colleges.
How many pitchers can throw 70 + mph on a non ESPN speed gun?

Jun 8, 2016
How many pitchers can throw 70 + mph on a non ESPN speed gun?
In terms of college right now who is considered the hardest thrower out there? Fouts is probably up there and if Juarez is correct, and the gun is 3 to 4 mph faster than it should be, and Fouts is being clocked at 73, than even she is borderline.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I think the point that the Twitter poster misses is that to pitch your teams way to WCWS, the pitchers have both speed and spin, not just speed.

Actually they have all thre “S’s”, add spot to above.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I think Fouts made some similar comments about overthrowing the ball and losing spin last spring.

She got better as the season continued last year. If that continues, she will be one of the greats.

Dec 11, 2010
Any coach that sets their Jugs machine to 70 and mows through their 12 and 14u team while destroying mechanics really should peruse this thread and other pitching threads.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
For me, as a pitching instructor there is a hidden question in this thread. Is there a causal relationship between bullet spin and velocity? For instance, if Montana Fouts (or Garcia or Alexander) throws a top spin pitch how does it relate velocity-wise to their bullet spin? Is there something about the way these pitchers throw bullet spin that makes it their fastest pitch?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs