Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
1st tourney in the books. It was cold but fun; definitely some progress. Last season it took a few games to even find the courage to get the bat off her shoulder. She had some success, concerning stats. Some things good, some things frustrating (as dad..) concerning her movements, but all in all a good starting point for 2022.

A few at bats below.

Oct 2, 2017
1st tourney in the books. It was cold but fun; definitely some progress. Last season it took a few games to even find the courage to get the bat off her shoulder. She had some success, concerning stats. Some things good, some things frustrating (as dad..) concerning her movements, but all in all a good starting point for 2022.

A few at bats below.

👏👏👏

Jun 8, 2016

A few at bats below.

That is Marcela’s number. Must be the universal number for skinny kids (David Ortiz and Kirby Puckett not withstanding..😂)

Dec 12, 2020
This is Evie's little sister. She had a very difficult year last season but has been hitting right out the gate this year. She has always played up with Evie. Being a last day 2011 she often plays against girls 2-3 years older, mainly for parental selfish logistical reasons lol. Last evening she two hopped the fence for a "homerun." Sorry about the celebratory mom clip from my wife. Just thought I'd celebrate her for a moment, she's been working pretty hard.
4acfef27684a316834051de820127f71.gif
2753307e6dc232dc3cd8920d12137946.gif

Dec 12, 2020
Had a few games over the last week, here's an update; some tourney swings, a workout, and her 1st league games of 2022 last evening.

Being ready at the correct time is very difficult lol. We have been weening off the big leg kick she immediately reverted back to and towards a more SnF ready at release approach, trying to maintain tension at her rear leg/hip and up her back in order to stay behind and catch the ball.

She's finding a few barrels but has been really fighting through some adversity, even hard hit balls are often finding gloves; she just expects so much more of herself now. I'm starting to feel like my only real goal is to keep her smiling.

Anyway, thoughts always welcomed!

Appreciate it all!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Had a few games over the last week, here's an update; some tourney swings, a workout, and her 1st league games of 2022 last evening.

Being ready at the correct time is very difficult lol. We have been weening off the big leg kick she immediately reverted back to and towards a more SnF ready at release approach, trying to maintain tension at her rear leg/hip and up her back in order to stay behind and catch the ball.

She's finding a few barrels but has been really fighting through some adversity, even hard hit balls are often finding gloves; she just expects so much more of herself now. I'm starting to feel like my only real goal is to keep her smiling.

Appreciate it all!

I like how she's getting lead side leverage in the last swings before launch.

Aug 20, 2017
Plenty of good swings and bad swings which is typical for the majority of really good fastpitch hitters! The thing that stands out to me are some sequencing issues. These issues look to be due not getting much pull back with the hands/scap as she begins her forward advance. Looks to be causing the upper to to fire prior to foot down. Teaching the hands/scap to pull back can be tricky. Feet Together Stride Hit Justin Stone Drill combined with starting the hands and bat centered with chest/belly button has been the best that I’ve used. I never had good results with telling players to pull back with rear elbow. Verbal que of “load hands” seems to work better. Belly button moves forward and hands move back. Would probably do it dry some before putting a ball on a tee. Will save you some wear and tear lol. After proficient on tees move on to some front toss using same drill. In live ABs don’t tell her to load hands or anything like that. Let her do what’s comfortable with a do damage mindset. Pic below is at foot down on a well timed pitch.
42089BE9-4619-465B-B5E9-D051F083E426.png

Dec 12, 2020
Plenty of good swings and bad swings which is typical for the majority of really good fastpitch hitters! The thing that stands out to me are some sequencing issues. These issues look to be due not getting much pull back with the hands/scap as she begins her forward advance. Looks to be causing the upper to to fire prior to foot down. Teaching the hands/scap to pull back can be tricky. Feet Together Stride Hit Justin Stone Drill combined with starting the hands and bat centered with chest/belly button has been the best that I’ve used. I never had good results with telling players to pull back with rear elbow. Verbal que of “load hands” seems to work better. Belly button moves forward and hands move back. Would probably do it dry some before putting a ball on a tee. Will save you some wear and tear lol. After proficient on tees move on to some front toss using same drill. In live ABs don’t tell her to load hands or anything like that. Let her do what’s comfortable with a do damage mindset. Pic below is at foot down on a well timed pitch.
View attachment 25364
Thanks Cornbread! That is actually a focus point for her, and she has a fairly good idea of her pull back with her back, but using it to help load the rear leg, and using that tug to assist in a fyb move.
Getting forward has always been issue for her, usually she starts slow and early but stalls...afraid to experiment getting forward on time. Then rushes. That's what we are trying to break now.
So in short, yeah, I agree. Our plan was to go into the league play video more preset like the home video above, and minimize the readiness because she always stalls without tension.

Jun 8, 2016

Appreciate it all!

Lmao at Mom in the last clip “you better not…EVIE!!” 😂

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414