Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks again for the replies! All hit on relevant points, am I'm so much more aware of that Bambi rear leg.

I feel like there is some slight change here, let me know if you all notice anything, for better or worse.

Fwiw, some of these, in our opinion, have been her hardest basement soft toss barrels to date...she was very happy with herself.

IMO, she is on her way to a very good place with her swing. Yes, there are still adjustments to make, but that's standard operating procedure at this age. Keep up the good work.

Aug 20, 2017
Good stuff! Hips looking better (front hip not getting higher than back hip during knee lift), better coil. Timing was a little late. Probably caused the misses under the ball. She did look to be getting her front foot up on time though. I would do some of the bonds/Yelich drills to get her to feel controlling the barrel a little better. Side toss standing tall, 50% swings, hit the ball off the front the plate (straight down). Once good with that move the target about 5-10 feet out in front of home plate and hit balls off of it. Continue that until the target is around 2B. No pop ups or start over. Will get her to control barrel a little better and clean her path some. Can use same progression on front toss.

Dec 12, 2020
Good stuff! Hips looking better (front hip not getting higher than back hip during knee lift), better coil. Timing was a little late. Probably caused the misses under the ball. She did look to be getting her front foot up on time though. I would do some of the bonds/Yelich drills to get her to feel controlling the barrel a little better. Side toss standing tall, 50% swings, hit the ball off the front the plate (straight down). Once good with that move the target about 5-10 feet out in front of home plate and hit balls off of it. Continue that until the target is around 2B. No pop ups or start over. Will get her to control barrel a little better and clean her path some. Can use same progression on front toss.
Thanks Cornbread! We have worked some Bonds stuff in the flavor of Coach Mike Q. Though much improved from last week, her timing is still off, and she abandons who she is. I still think an ounce of fear is hanging around. We have worked on that 'crinkle fry' rear leg/hip scenario transitioning to more of a better coiling hover, but she reverted back to a kick - but, yeah, it was better like you mentioned. Foot gets in the air, but she's not at a more vulnerable 'ready at release.'

I think timing is priority #1 at the moment.

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks Cornbread! We have worked some Bonds stuff in the flavor of Coach Mike Q. Though much improved from last week, her timing is still off, and she abandons who she is. I still think an ounce of fear is hanging around. We have worked on that 'crinkle fry' rear leg/hip scenario transitioning to more of a better coiling hover, but she reverted back to a kick - but, yeah, it was better like you mentioned. Foot gets in the air, but she's not at a more vulnerable 'ready at release.'

The timing could also be a mentality thing. Even with less than ideal mechanics if you make the effort to get the barrel out in front with the goal of hammering the left center gap you can still be on time. We as coaches talk a lot about body positions, hands, and feet. We could probably all use to talk about barrel and barrel awareness more.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes, learn how to control the barrel.. Focus on line drives.

jl2fXjR.gif

SiakSPK.gif

Aug 20, 2017

Yes. IMO cleaning up her path and barrel control will equate to better timing. It will take out some of the looseness of the barrel. Bonds drill will create barrel awareness and allow for a more direct path to the ball. I would focus on the things you are focusing and add Bonds stuff to a daily progression.

The fear aspect will continue to ease over time. Having live pitchers like y’all do will certainly help.

The knee lift and coil stuff you are doing from Coach Mike is really good! She gets to good position with her knee lift. For timing, I would work getting the knee lift started a little sooner. Try to get to where she has some movement forward at release. Currently she is still back at release. Don’t rush it or anything. Keep it like it is with maybe getting front foot up when the pitcher is at the top of the circle or sooner. Of course that will vary pitcher to pitcher based on velocity and how quick/slow the premotion is. She looks good!

Sep 17, 2009
IMO, she is on her way to a very good place with her swing. Yes, there are still adjustments to make, but that's standard operating procedure at this age. Keep up the good work.

Completely agree with this. Follow Eric's DD's journey to see what happens when you add strength/size to good swing thoughts and actions. I'd keep at what she is doing but also realize that she can only grow so much within a single season or off-season. The most recent clips against good live pitching should be super-encouraging....she keeps most if not all of her actions intact. That is NOT easy, moving from tee swings to live swings when making changes and not falling back on old habits. Good job by her!

Dec 12, 2020
The most recent clips against good live pitching should be super-encouraging....she keeps most if not all of her actions intact. That is NOT easy, moving from tee swings to live swings when making changes and not falling back on old habits. Good job by her!

This is exciting; there are noticeable consistent new habits seen through the fire. She has worked very hard.

I reference Eric's journey often. Now that she has some time of work put in, it's easier for me to understand the journey and it's progression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28