An instructors "Bag of tricks" for teaching pitchers.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Oh and STICKERS! Never underestimate the power of STICKERS!

I give my students work-out cards. They have to complete certain workouts on the cards. I had this one pitcher, she was 15 and she just would not practice during the week, so I drew a frowny face on her card and she yelled, "NO! NOT A FROWNY FACE!" I told her the only that frown could e turned upside down was to practice. She happily handed me her card the week, stating she had practiced 2 days and jumped for joy when she got a smiley face.

I used Stickers for my own DD, that kid would do anything for a sticker.
She is a high school teacher now, and still understands the power of stickers. She says even the 17 & 18 yr old boys love stickers and every year I send her a teacher supply gift box and make sure there are lots of stickers in it, especially super hero ones for the boys.:)

Dec 20, 2012
So it appears many are "allergic to peanuts" and you are not. Point noted move on.Are you trying to persuade someone. If you are not then point noted next topic.

Nope, just saying that glove slap is not a mechanic's problem. I don't advocate, don't discourage it. Just making a point to someone that is passing off their OPINION as fact. And I love peanuts, thanks for asking.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Nope, just saying that glove slap is not a mechanic's problem. I don't advocate, don't discourage it. Just making a point to someone that is passing off their OPINION as fact. And I love peanuts, thanks for asking.

Well let me see now.

A glove shove in a straight line towards the target helps to open the hips, and keep a pitcher balanced, that would be considered a mechanics issue.

Pulling the glove back to the body in a fast straight line helps to close the hips, helps creat a faster arm whip and assist a pitcher in staying well balanced because it counters the distraction force caused by the arm circle. That all will fall under mechanics issues as the all assist in a stronger. faster and more balanced pitch.

What is it again that slapping the glove on the leg does for the pitch or the pitcher? Maybe I missed that part.

Dec 20, 2012
Well let me see now.

A glove shove in a straight line towards the target helps to open the hips, and keep a pitcher balanced, that would be considered a mechanics issue.

Pulling the glove back to the body in a fast straight line helps to close the hips, helps creat a faster arm whip and assist a pitcher in staying well balanced because it counters the distraction force caused by the arm circle. That all will fall under mechanics issues as the all assist in a stronger. faster and more balanced pitch.

What is it again that slapping the glove on the leg does for the pitch or the pitcher? Maybe I missed that part.

It creates more ball whip? Really? Bring your arm to your hip creates more than your upper leg? It helps close the hip? How does it do that? Agree, you do not leave your arm straight out. Distraction Force, glad you brought that up. An excerpt from one of your posts:

My students were taught to ‘Shove the glove’ straight forward towards their target and pull the glove back in a straight line to the hip (Holster position) keeping that balance weight in as close to a straight line as possible. My students had excellent balance, speed and accuracy, they were very smooth. Bringing the glove straight back to the hip also places the glove in the best self=defense position in the event of a line drive.

The position you described would be pretty darn close to the same spot a glove slapper would bring their glove to(or at least the ones I have seen), maybe 3-4 inches apart at the most. Make up your mind, is it the slapping that bothers you or the hand position? You keep changing your point. And AGAIN, I DO NOT ADVOCATE GLOVE SLAPPING, IT JUST DOES NOT BOTHER ME!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
DP and sub - YouTube

You pitching, you arm is NOWHERE near where you say it should be. It looks EXACTLY the same place aglove slapper would bring there arm, just without the slap. Very dangerous defensive postion for linedrives back at you. Do you often say one thing and do another???

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It creates more ball whip? Really? Bring your arm to your hip creates more than your upper leg? It helps close the hip? How does it do that? Agree, you do not leave your arm straight out. Distraction Force, glad you brought that up. An excerpt from one of your posts:

My students were taught to ‘Shove the glove’ straight forward towards their target and pull the glove back in a straight line to the hip (Holster position) keeping that balance weight in as close to a straight line as possible. My students had excellent balance, speed and accuracy, they were very smooth. Bringing the glove straight back to the hip also places the glove in the best self=defense position in the event of a line drive.

The position you described would be pretty darn close to the same spot a glove slapper would bring their glove to(or at least the ones I have seen), maybe 3-4 inches apart at the most. Make up your mind, is it the slapping that bothers you or the hand position? You keep changing your point. And AGAIN, I DO NOT ADVOCATE GLOVE SLAPPING, IT JUST DOES NOT BOTHER ME!

Ball whip?? where did that come from??

You havent answered the question. How does the glove slap benefit the pitch or the pitcher? I dont care if you advocate it or not. You said it had nothing to do merchanics. It prevents good mechanics for sure.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
DP and sub - YouTube

You pitching, you arm is NOWHERE near where you say it should be. It looks EXACTLY the same place aglove slapper would bring there arm, just without the slap. Very dangerous defensive postion for linedrives back at you. Do you often say one thing and do another???

I am pitching to a camera on a tripod.

By the way, a glove flat against the thigh and a glove up and at the waisty; Difference is night and between having enough time to defend the head/throat and not having enough time.

Now you are also telling everyone you dont know the difference between a leap and drag pitch and a step style pitch?? LOL

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ball whip?? where did that come from??

You havent answered the question. How does the glove slap benefit the pitch or the pitcher? I dont care if you advocate it or not. You said it had nothing to do merchanics. It prevents good mechanics for sure.

I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread claim that glove slap benefits a pitch or pitcher (other than the sound maybe throwing off a batters timing). The claim I've seen from some is that it niether helps nor harms the pitch or picther and that numerous examples of high level pitchers who are/were glove slappers were presented to suport that theory..

Some such as yourself and Amy have made claims that it can be harmful but I'm not sure anything more than anecdotal evidence has been supplied for either side of the question.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread claim that glove slap benefits a pitch or pitcher (other than the sound maybe throwing off a batters timing). The claim I've seen from some is that it niether helps nor harms the pitch or picther and that numerous examples of high level pitchers who are/were glove slappers were presented to suport that theory..

Some such as yourself and Amy have made claims that it can be harmful but I'm not sure anything more than anecdotal evidence has been supplied for either side of the question.

OK. Many of those elite pitchers leap and get the call of IP now and then. There they are doing something that will get the younger pitchers called for it every time.Things that are not safe, things that are harful or things that are illegal when it really isnt.

Just because some elite pitchers do something, that doesnt make it safe, smart or legal when it isnt.

As far as evidence goes, surely you have seen pitchers at tournies that slap and have red marks and'or bruises on thier thighs? That isnt harmful? If the slap prevents them from having the strongest or better mechanics, that doesnt hurt the pitchers performance?

It does damage to their leg. It does not leave the glove in a good defensive location, and it prevents better mechanics.

Use the slapo if they want to, its their kids not mine. When the kid gets hurt because of it, dont blame me.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hal my personal and very unprofessional opinion is that it wasted motion that I'd discourage it in my own DD. I just don't think it's as harmful as you are making it out to be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA