An instructors "Bag of tricks" for teaching pitchers.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
When I was teaching pitchers I had some different methods than the other instructors. I think every instructor has some method/s that might be unique to them. I apparently had several as they called my ball bag “Coach Hal’s bag of tricks”.

I will list what I kept in mine and what I used it for with students. I am curious to see what other things (props??) other instructors used.

1. An extra glove, in case somebody forgot theirs.
2. A box of chalk, to draw things on the pitching mat.
3. A tape measure, to measure a pitcher’s height and stride length.
4. Some 16 penny nails and a roofing hammer, to aide me when a pitcher would raise or shift their pivot foot.
5. A roll of bright colored construction twine, used along with the nails and hammer when working outside on the diamond to extend the power line. Also used to teach a pitcher to not lean forward at release
6. A lead weight, to do the exercise that increases speed and builds confidence.
7. A blindfold in a sealed plastic bag, to build confidence.
8. A half-sized football, to teach them to bring the fingers to the inside of the ball and to start them on the bent fingered riseball.
9. An 11 and 12 inch ball with fat black stripes around them, no brainer there.
10 A Frisbee, to aid in teaching the curveball, the fingers down / palm down version.

Items too big for my bag but kept at the academy

1. A Hoola-Hoop, to help demonstrate a straight up and down arm circle.
2. A house broom, to assist in demonstrating the Fall Forward drill’ and the forward lean at push off.
3. A full length mirror, along with some bright colored rolled up socks, to show them how to check their own arm circle at home (With blue painters masking tape).

The other instructors would get a chuckle sometimes watching me work with these things but they started doing the same things when they saw how fast my students progressed compared to their own.

Anyway, I am very curious to see what other interesting, unique, whacko methods others used.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
I have quite a bit;
spintight trainer
radar gun
Rev-fire
assorted colored electrical tape for taping balls
2 rolls of duct tape for spins
2 homemade spinners for spins
tennis ball
11" wiffles
12" wiffles
wiffles tied together for spins
Homemade push box
Soft dog frisbee
small nerf football
nerf ball
6' PVC pipe for body angles
6' stride board
3 various sized throw max's
Hitting pod
Tee
Kodak play sport camera

And I don't have a "place", most of the time this all goes with me.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Great thread Hal.

- Extra softballs (especially for beginners) of the 11" and 12" variety. Great for limiting "fetch" and putting next to the foot to prevent pivot.
- 14" ball for working rise spins
- Taped or lined ball
- Spinright spinner
- Stack of small plastic dome/cones, used for marking landing or breaking areas
- Pool noodle attached to a tee. Used to help prevent glove swimming and as a marker for where the ball should break around.
- Roll of duct tape. Used for untied shoelaces and for parents/catchers who can't keep their mouths shut.
- Pillow case filled with dollar store "stuff", used as prizes for the youngsters. Always finish with a game of some sort.

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
- Roll of duct tape. Used for untied shoelaces and for parents/catchers who can't keep their mouths shut.

Hahaha I love it

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
4. Some 16 penny nails and a roofing hammer, to aide me when a pitcher would raise or shift their pivot foot.
5. A roll of bright colored construction twine, used along with the nails and hammer when working outside on the diamond to extend the power line. Also used to teach a pitcher to not lean forward at release
6. A lead weight, to do the exercise that increases speed and builds confidence.
7. A blindfold in a sealed plastic bag, to build confidence.

Too few dang characters
SPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSSPSPSP
Wow.gif

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
-1/4 inch and 1 inch rubbers
-Regular and no residue duct tape
-LaffyTaffy, Tooties Rolls and Flavored Tootsies
-Canon camera with slo-mo feature
-Nets
-Can of field liner (Not as temporary as I first thought...)

Apr 13, 2013
Little off topic but I am surprised the amount of parents of pitchers that do not own a pitching plate. It is $20, 14 paces, pound it down, done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA