Age cutoff question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
Quincy, I know, I found the age requirements on every league that I could find and none of them had this age requirement. Like I said, I have asked the director more than once and this last time I emailed her and I am almost positive that she just ignored me. I am coaching my daughter and most of the kids wanted to move up with me, but I think they are going to request to Play down.

Does anyone know of any league that uses December 31st of the current year as the age determination?

You can't make the age cutoff for a current year the last day of said current year. Apparently she is not properly educated on the rule. You need to speak to a supervisor.

ASA Junior Olympic Age Qualifications

The following information is from the ASA Code regarding age eligibility in Junior Olympic (Youth) play. Please access the ASA Code for complete information.

Junior Olympic Age Qualifications. A player's age as of December 31 determines the age in which the player is eligible to play the following year.

There for your daughter was 8 on December 31, 2014, and therefor she plays as an 8 year old the entire 2015 season.

Mar 26, 2013
The city's web page shows it's a Babe Ruth League and they're using Dec 31, 2015 for the age cutoff - Surprise, Arizona - Tee-Ball, Baseball & Softball. This is inconsistent with Babe Ruth Softball's age cutoff - http://www.baberuthleague.org/media/6830/2015BabeRuthSoftball.pdf. That said, there's nothing to stop a league from having a local rule that ages players up a year early for a multitude of reasons/rationales. OP needs to find out whether the city normally follows or deviates from the Babe Ruth cutoffs.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sometimes it is easier to think of it via birth year.

Once you enter the TB world you refer to your DD's age by her birth year. "She is a '98"....and high school by her graduation year, "she is a 2017".

In GA the school cutoff date is Sept 1st and my DD was born in October, so she is a 2017 high school player and a '98 TB player. Unlike other sports (AAU basketball and Volleyball) softball does not give age exemptions to keep girls in the same grade together, so my DD was always one of the younger players on her TB team, and is old for her grade in high school.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
My last daughter that played is now 21 so it has been a while since I looked into age determination, but I thought that there were no other organization that had this cutoff date either. Well all I can do is ask them again, then accept whatever they say I guess. I'm not really big on having my kids play club ball until they are about 10. It works for a lot of people, but on limited resources it is hard to keep up financially.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Once you enter the TB world you refer to your DD's age by her birth year. "She is a '98"....and high school by her graduation year, "she is a 2017".

In GA the school cutoff date is Sept 1st and my DD was born in October, so she is a 2017 high school player and a '98 TB player. Unlike other sports (AAU basketball and Volleyball) softball does not give age exemptions to keep girls in the same grade together, so my DD was always one of the younger players on her TB team, and is old for her grade in high school.

Same here.
DD's DOB is 12/7/00 and in 8th grade (2019 graduation date). So for school she is a '19, but for TB she is classified age wise as a second year 14U player. Most '00 DOB players are 2018's and in 9th grade now.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
The other problem that I found was that they follow this rule, however they offer parents a chance to request exemption to "Play down." Meaning that the rule is just a suggestion and that if you feel your DD isn't ready yet, you can ask to keep her down. It could be foolishness or my pride, but I would never ask for my children to "Play down."

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
The city's web page shows it's a Babe Ruth League and they're using Dec 31, 2015 for the age cutoff - Surprise, Arizona - Tee-Ball, Baseball & Softball. This is inconsistent with Babe Ruth Softball's age cutoff - http://www.baberuthleague.org/media/6830/2015BabeRuthSoftball.pdf. That said, there's nothing to stop a league from having a local rule that ages players up a year early for a multitude of reasons/rationales. OP needs to find out whether the city normally follows or deviates from the Babe Ruth cutoffs.

Thank your for checking the website also, I have read that site and the letter they send out, over and over. I asked the director at the end of the last season and was told that is how they do it. I emailed the league director a twice last week and they haven't answered yet. I guess I will just have to get ready to start coaching 10U if they don't get back to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom