Advice on 10yo swing appreciated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2022
I think her hands are too out in front but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_8565.jpeg
    IMG_8565.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 57
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I assume that the pitch was low in the zone, so the hand position doesn't bother me. The overall plane of the swing looks like it cuts down and in, across contact, rather than on plane with the path of ball. What jumps out at me is the relatively straight lead arm. I like to see a lot more flex in the elbow, with the hands much closer to the body.

Oct 5, 2022
I assume that the pitch was low in the zone, so the hand position doesn't bother me. The overall plane of the swing looks like it cuts down and in, across contact, rather than on plane with the path of ball. What jumps out at me is the relatively straight lead arm. I like to see a lot more flex in the elbow, with the hands much closer to the body.
Thank you for the input. It was her practice swing. I can post a swing from a coach pitched ball if it will help but I believe her mechanics would be the same.

She hits a lot of grounders and balls that come dead off the bat despite a fast swing.

Jul 1, 2022
No hip rotation.

She needs to load her hip pre pitch, and then rapidly unload it when she starts her swing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017
I think her hands are too out in front but not sure.
Here’s what I see in order of importance:
- she’s pushing the knob to the ball. Follow the knob. Frame 2 knob has gone way too far down for a practice swing. The further down it goes, the longer the swing. On all practice swings, make sure the hands never go below the belly button. Take hands across the chest. This is shorter, quicker. The knob has to work down some. But it needs to start working up as soon as possible (Nike swoosh). Slightly up through the ball.

Frame 3: the knob has still not working up. I like to see the knob working up prior to the hands reaching the center of the body (belly button). At this point the hands and knob need to be working up through the ball.

Next, feet get a little too wide. This will cause her to have a more upper body dominant swing. The rear leg will not be able to allow the body to turn properly based on pitch location.

Lastly, try to keep the front elbow bent at a 90 degree in her stance and during upper load. On practice swings, get the feel of the front elbow working up.

Lots of info her so take it one step at time. Get her aware of where the knob is pointing first. Do swine dry swings and tell her to watch the knob. Then tell her to work the knob up as soon as possible while she watched the knob. She can do it in a mirror also

Oct 5, 2022
Lots of info her so take it one step at time. Get her aware of where the knob is pointing first. Do swine dry swings and tell her to watch the knob. Then tell her to work the knob up as soon as possible while she watched the knob. She can do it in a mirror also
Thank you very much for the advice. Getting her practice swings up alone has improved how she’s making contact in the cage. I assume that’s because in order to swing across the chest the knob has to be up.

She’s also working on not setting up so wide.

Thank you again 🙏

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez