A lefty at short stop ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Because she would still be relatively better at any other position so the team could be better overall.

I'm not sure how long you have been in softball, or what age your girl plays,but one day you will see a lefty at short. Your first thought is going to be, this should be good, we are going to kill them. At the end of the game you will be shaking your head wondering how you were unable to get the ball by her, and how come you never were able to take advantage of this obvious error in tactics.

The first truth of the matter is that the lefty has obvious disadvantages on the play deep in the hole, and has to back hand things up the middle. In the standard game I see at most 1 play deep in the hole that a right hander makes and even then the throw is usually too late to get the runner. As for the up the middle play, if we expect the right hander to be able to make this play in the hole, the lefty should be able to make it up the middle. Which actually turns her body just a bit to get that lead shoulder facing the direction of throw, so in some ways that backhand play benefits her.

The second truth of the matter is, for every play deep in the hole that the lefty probably can't make (but neither do most right handers) there are 10 routine plays (grounders and balls in the air), plus 5 relays from the outfield, and 5 throw downs from the catcher. If I have a girl who can make those 20 plays better then a girl who is physically able to make the once in a while play, I'm going with the girl who is better. I don't care what hand she uses, if she is the best at the most important fielding position, then she is playing it for me. Most SS are also better at outfield then most outfielders does it make sense to weaken the most critical position in order to strengthen a different one?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I was a lefty SS until 12 and then we moved. The coach of my new team would have none of it. 1st or OF, take your pick. Funny thing was he approached me about playing on his team while playing a pickup game where he saw me backhand one up the middle, step on 2nd for one out and throw to 1st for the second. Can't say as I hate being lefty but I was glad when both DDs exhibited righty tendencies. Just think if they played the game opposite, all you righties would be in big trouble and playing in the outfield!

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure how long you have been in softball, or what age your girl plays,but one day you will see a lefty at short. Your first thought is going to be, this should be good, we are going to kill them. At the end of the game you will be shaking your head wondering how you were unable to get the ball by her, and how come you never were able to take advantage of this obvious error in tactics.

The first truth of the matter is that the lefty has obvious disadvantages on the play deep in the hole, and has to back hand things up the middle. In the standard game I see at most 1 play deep in the hole that a right hander makes and even then the throw is usually too late to get the runner. As for the up the middle play, if we expect the right hander to be able to make this play in the hole, the lefty should be able to make it up the middle. Which actually turns her body just a bit to get that lead shoulder facing the direction of throw, so in some ways that backhand play benefits her.

The second truth of the matter is, for every play deep in the hole that the lefty probably can't make (but neither do most right handers) there are 10 routine plays (grounders and balls in the air), plus 5 relays from the outfield, and 5 throw downs from the catcher. If I have a girl who can make those 20 plays better then a girl who is physically able to make the once in a while play, I'm going with the girl who is better. I don't care what hand she uses, if she is the best at the most important fielding position, then she is playing it for me. Most SS are also better at outfield then most outfielders does it make sense to weaken the most critical position in order to strengthen a different one?

I don't know why you are getting so upset...nothing I said was untrue. SS is where a lefty would be most at a disadvantage. If you don't have anyone else who can field a ground ball then sure you do what you have to do. But if you have two players of equal or close to equal skill and one is a righty then you should put her at SS.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't know why you are getting so upset...nothing I said was untrue. SS is where a lefty would be most at a disadvantage. If you don't have anyone else who can field a ground ball then sure you do what you have to do. But if you have two players of equal or close to equal skill and one is a righty then you should put her at SS.
Sorry if I came off as upset. Not at all, I just wouldn't like it if a coach told my kid that regardless of how good they are they cannot play a position that they have earned, all because of being left handed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG