A lefty at short stop ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 19, 2009
Hi All ,
Just your thoughts on a left hander thrower at short stop , disadvantages & advantages ???

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
There's no advantages I can think of, unless she's by far the most athletic kid on the field. You'll see less and less lefties in the infield ( except 1b) they older they get

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is no advantage in being a lefty at SS. Anyone who has managed for a while has had one though, not the end of the world.

May 31, 2009
We had a lefty on our high school team last year that played 3rd....She was a good athlete with a great arm and did a great job. Don't know of any advantage of a lefty playing ss, but at 3rd they can get their mitt down quicker on hard grounders down 3rd base line, than most righties can.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Disadvantages would be, harder to field a ball hit up the middle, easier to field a ball in the whole at deep short but nearly impossible to throw the runner out, glove arm away from 2nd base when covering on a steal.

Can't think of any advantages unless maybe on a play at 3rd.

That doesn't mean that a very athletic lefty can't play the position, but at higher levels they will be moved somewhere else.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Would have to be way better than a right handed SS for me to even consider it. jmo

Why way better? If she is better at all, she earned the job. Why put a different standard to her then any other player. If you are the best at the spot, it should be her position. My DD is a lefty and has played SS at 10u and 12u, this year at 14u the manager of the team told me he is thinking about putting her there when she isn't pitching.

Jan 20, 2010
Why way better? If she is better at all, she earned the job. Why put a different standard to her then any other player. If you are the best at the spot, it should be her position. My DD is a lefty and has played SS at 10u and 12u, this year at 14u the manager of the team told me he is thinking about putting her there when she isn't pitching.

Depends I guess on how long she wants to play...she will definitely not play SS in college (or much after 14u...kind of suprised to see it considered at 14u). Why not have her work on a position that has a future?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Depends I guess on how long she wants to play...she will definitely not play SS in college (or much after 14u...kind of suprised to see it considered at 14u). Why not have her work on a position that has a future?
Maybe because 90% of non pitchers in college are playing positions they did not play in HS. Do you think a college coach would not take notice of a lefty playing SS and think, hmm that kid can play ball, but she can't play outfield for me because she is a lefty SS?

Nov 19, 2009
I think in a double play situation a lefty can field a ground ball , over run & tag 2nd base and throw to 1st on his natural side without haveing to transfer his weight ( basically around the runner approaching 2 nd base ) , where as a right hand thrower has to stop and transfer his weight back to his throwing arm side . `
My son plays u19 ss club which is at a high level and he has a quick transfer play and a rocket arm ( maybe looking to play baseball as a pitcher ?? ) . They won there section this season and it was a great final , a real nail biter .
All i hear from coaches at a high level is that you never put a lefty at short , they cant give me a real reason why , likewise a lefty as a catcher ? .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan