a 'Lazy' Fastball ??????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My DD is playing 12U and is dominant against the majority of teams she faces. She has been using a pitching coach for almost 2 years and overall I am satisfied. She has always leaned on the fastball as her 'go to' pitch as she was consistently throwing it 52-53 mph thru the summer travel season. Her velocity has dropped to the 49-50 range in the last month or so. During this time, she has developed a good rise that she throws in the 53-55 range. Should I not worry about the fastball as she is starting to lean on other pitches? Is she just lazy with that pitch? (here rise curve and drop curve are
both in the 49-50 range as well) Her pitching coach doesn't seem to have an answer other than the fastball is 'lazy'. Should I seek out a new pitching coach if other pitches go stale or stay the course and see what spring brings? We have 4 more tournaments this year and are then done until spring. Your thoughts?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My DD is playing 12U and is dominant against the majority of teams she faces. She has been using a pitching coach for almost 2 years and overall I am satisfied. She has always leaned on the fastball as her 'go to' pitch as she was consistently throwing it 52-53 mph thru the summer travel season. Her velocity has dropped to the 49-50 range in the last month or so. During this time, she has developed a good rise that she throws in the 53-55 range. Should I not worry about the fastball as she is starting to lean on other pitches? Is she just lazy with that pitch? (here rise curve and drop curve are
both in the 49-50 range as well) Her pitching coach doesn't seem to have an answer other than the fastball is 'lazy'. Should I seek out a new pitching coach if other pitches go stale or stay the course and see what spring brings? We have 4 more tournaments this year and are then done until spring. Your thoughts?

Her fastball will get her bench time.

Her riseball will get her wins.

May 13, 2008
I agree with Hal.

Re the "slow" fastball, if she has been working on a lot of movement pitches it is possible she isn't staying behind the ball. Make sure that she isn't turning her wrist.

Oct 19, 2009
Saskatchewan
if she has 4 other pitches with movement and work then no problem the flat or straight pitch aka the fastball is begging to be hit a long way

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I am being serious here. What makes a fastball a fastball anyway? Do you look for a certain type of spin or do you just throw it like hell regardless of the spin?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I am being serious here. What makes a fastball a fastball anyway? Do you look for a certain type of spin or do you just throw it like hell regardless of the spin?

I am one of the few that DO feel there is a place for a fastball in softball.

However, the vast majority of young pitchers DO NOT have the awesome and overpowering speed required to use the fastball on a very regular basis. Even the ones that do, many of them cannot maintain that speed more than an inning or two. Then it drops off and is pounded.

Many, possibly most, throw it as a dropball with a peel drop grip. If they have hands big enough to do it, some will throw a fastball with the traditional V grip.

And yeah, you put every ounce of effort into it when you do throw it.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
She understands that the fastball will get pounded, so to overcome, she locates it very well. She tries to limit it to 5-6 fastballs per inning as her pitches with movement do break well. The biggest disappointment is that she has no confidence in her change-up, therefore seldom uses it. the fastball looks like it is coming in at 90 when it follows a change-up at 35. She was able to spend the day with a college team last spring and their top pitchers throw less than 10 fastballs in a game, she will not admit, but this is what she is trying to emulate. Last week we scrimmaged a 14U team and she held them to zero runs in her 3 innings, so maybe I am a little over-concerned

May 12, 2008
I agree. If the "fastball" is noticeably faster than anything else she throws, it can be used as a reverse change if you will. If not, a couple of GOOD movement pitches and something off speed will get her a lot of fun if she has command.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Coach JV

If she is struggling with the change up then the focus needs to be placed there until she gets it down and the confidence comes up. If there is one pitch that has to work IMO it is the change up. Even if you dont throw it well on a given day you have to use it to make the batters think its coming on any given pitch.

I teach every one of my students that before you walk out on that mound you make sure that change up works.

Dana.

Oct 19, 2009
Saskatchewan
I dont believe there is such thing as a "fastball" in softball. The spin is drop ball spin. I believe you need a pitch that you can throw for a strike when needed and thats the "fastball" when really its a drop that doesnt dip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck