"A" class players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2024
I will begin by saying that I am new here and if there is already a thread I apologize. I am from the Florida panhandle area and this weekend while talking to a dad/coach at a tournament "A" class players were brought up. He proceeded to tell me there aren't any "A" players in our area. Is this true or is this a matter of opinion?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
People's opinions of what an 'A' player is can vary. 'A' players can come from anywhere, but they don't play everywhere. Dad/coach may be right, or there may be 'A' players in your area, just travelling further away to face more 'A' competition.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I will begin by saying that I am new here and if there is already a thread I apologize. I am from the Florida panhandle area and this weekend while talking to a dad/coach at a tournament "A" class players were brought up. He proceeded to tell me there aren't any "A" players in our area. Is this true or is this a matter of opinion?

I would be amazed if there are not any A class player in the Florida Panhandle. Florida St. has 3 players that are from the Florida Panhandle on their current roster. It could be his matter of opinion but he is full of shirt!

Just to be clear I did not type shirt the website auto corrected the word.

Jun 5, 2024
There’s no set criteria but in general it’s kids who are successful at the highest levels of the game. Even within there are local A players who are the best players in their area but would be outclassed on a national team. It’s subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There aren't any national teams that I know of in our area so how would/could you get your kid involved in that? Some of the local teams I have seen "coaches" don't really want to coach. It seems they want a team but tell the kids to go take lessons and very seldom practice as a team.

Aug 5, 2022
There aren't any national teams that I know of in our area so how would/could you get your kid involved in that? Some of the local teams I have seen "coaches" don't really want to coach. It seems they want a team but tell the kids to go take lessons and very seldom practice as a team.

You travel. Look at the teams that attended PGF premier or Alliance nationals last year and see whats available near you and make contact with those organizations. Some will have tryouts most will invite a player to a practice. DD has played and practiced 3 hrs from home since she was 10. Heading to the sec this fall.

Jun 5, 2024
You travel. Look at the teams that attended PGF premier or Alliance nationals last year and see whats available near you and make contact with those organizations. Some will have tryouts most will invite a player to a practice. DD has played and practiced 3 hrs from home since she was 10. Heading to the sec this fall.

How often were practices that far away?

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Agree with @Angiespeds above - you travel. DD's team is based in Indiana but has kids from MI, IL, PA, NJ. Sometimes you get lucky and a team is close, sometimes there is a team close but the right fit is a state over. Kids make the travel to be with other elite kids and play elite schedules. You aren't going to practice every week. You put in the work on your own. If we are lucky we get 1 or 2 practices once HS is done before the summer, 1 or 2 in the early Fall, and 3 or 4 over the Winter.

Jun 5, 2024
Agree with @Angiespeds above - you travel. DD's team is based in Indiana but has kids from MI, IL, PA, NJ. Sometimes you get lucky and a team is close, sometimes there is a team close but the right fit is a state over. Kids make the travel to be with other elite kids and play elite schedules. You aren't going to practice every week. You put in the work on your own. If we are lucky we get 1 or 2 practices once HS is done before the summer, 1 or 2 in the early Fall, and 3 or 4 over the Winter.
That makes sense. I was told that a well known organization in Alabama practices 3 days a week 4 hours a day. That kind of shocked me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968