"A" class players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I will begin by saying that I am new here and if there is already a thread I apologize. I am from the Florida panhandle area and this weekend while talking to a dad/coach at a tournament "A" class players were brought up. He proceeded to tell me there aren't any "A" players in our area. Is this true or is this a matter of opinion?
Suggestion as a search tool~ take a look at most recent pgf Nationals and Alliance Nationals outcomes. Consider perhaps/maybe (guesstimation) the top 20 teams in each of those events could be considered Elite 'A' players/teams. And then the group of regular 'A' teams below that.
Maybe the top half =pgf premier might all be considered 'A' teams. Or Break It Down something like that with Alliance also.

There are some events that triple crown hosts that the entire group of teams playing in it are 'A' teams.

Jul 22, 2015
After coaching as my dd progressed all the way through select ball, here's how I came to think of these categories. There are the truly elite, 1% players that many parents don't even realize exist. You rarely see them at a local tournament that isn't a truly major event. Then there are the national team level players, who are a step below that but would be the best players on just about any typical A level team. Most teams at a typical tournament are "A" teams, although there is obviously a huge range of talent on those teams, and some teams who should not put themselves in that category at all. Most B teams are either new select players or rec players who just want a longer season.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I always thought of A players and B players more as a USSSA ranking thing for teams than for players. You used it to determine what events to play in, but it was subjective because the coach for the team registered them as an A, B, or C team. Using that criterion, there are many players you would call A-level.

National teams are a whole different animal. Many teams call themselves national but don't belong on that stage or play regional events only. Depending on where you are located, finding that kind of team locally might be difficult. Where I live in NY, lacrosse is a hotbed, and softball is a distant second for girls, so we had to leave the area to find a team that was well-suited to my daughter. If you live in California or Texas, you will find a high-level team much easier. My daughter plays for a team based out of Louisiana now, and it's one practice weekend in the spring before tournaments start. However, they are expected to do the work to prepare for the season at home.

Dec 19, 2021
What determines being an A player though?
As has been said, everyone has their own definition. I am.kind of in the mindset of the "old" USSSA divisions as well. More or less the top 25-30% of the general pool of teams are A, 50% B (although many of them are delusional and register as A), and the rest C or should have stayed in Rec. Around here there are no teams registered C and all the tourneys are open anyway. Maybe this dad/coach thinks only P4 prospects are A players? Or maybe his definition of "the area" is just the local town.

That said, there are A kids on B teams and vice-versa. And kids change over time. Some are great at 12 and done before 18u. Many are meh at 12u and darn good by 18u.

In 12u, DD was on a B team. By 16u she was on an A team. She is now in her 2nd year on a top 18u National team. In 12u we had no idea this would be the path. There is probably some kid in your area that nobody knows about that will end up playing major college ball. Maybe several of them.

May 17, 2012
I look at the levels as a correlation to commitment rather than talent.

If you play at the "A" level then you seek out the highest level of competition regardless of the outcome.

Within that structure, there are national, regional, and local "A" teams. That just really comes down to where you live (access to competition) and how much money you want to spend.

May 19, 2024
I think that A teams are related to 1 pitchers, 2:defense, 3: smart offense. A level pitchers have movement, accuracy/control, and some speed. Defense should be consistent and have good situational awareness. Offenses should have skill, but also must understand situations and baserunning.

May 13, 2021
There’s no set criteria but in general it’s kids who are successful at the highest levels of the game. Even within there are local A players who are the best players in their area but would be outclassed on a national team. It’s subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Long way to travel when your 10, but I get it. To play this sport at a high level requires a highly dedicated kid, with insane parents.

Aug 5, 2022
Long way to travel when your 10, but I get it. To play this sport at a high level requires a highly dedicated kid, with insane parents.

For sure insane! Honestly though my kid played 3 sports so practicing once in the weekend even though it was far allowed us to work her lessons etc around our other sports instead of the teams set schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2017
I can promise you there are A class players in your area. There may be no top teams but those players travel to play on these top teams. In our area of Tennessee there are no high level teams available but there are multiple power 5 committed players. They all travel hours to play on these teams. Once we went to a national type team and did practice and lessons on our own it worked much better for us.

Now one thing I have found is many people do not realize what or where the highest level ball is played. Until you have been to the big tournaments and see that level for yourself it’s hard to understand. Until your see the top teams playing with power 5 coaches lining up the backstop at 14u for example you just don’t understand. I’ve seen many people talking about their kid wanting to go play for xyz sec schools. I ask if they have seen those schools recruiting the tournaments they play. And the normal response is no we are not 2nd year 16 so those schools are not recruiting our age group yet. Until you have been there and seen it then it’s hard to comprehend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968