A case for the safety base ... Texas/Texas A&M (Don't coach your players to do this . . .)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
I'm not seeing what a lot of people are seeing. The reason the 1B's sock was torn was because her leg was horizontal, not vertical. I don't know how the 1B could have blocked the base with her left leg any more completely than she did. Where are people expecting the runner to step?

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
Aug 5, 2022
I'm not seeing what a lot of people are seeing. The reason the 1B's sock was torn was because her leg was horizontal, not vertical. I don't know how the 1B could have blocked the base with her left leg any more completely than she did. Where are people expecting the runner to step?

This is exactly how I saw it…where was she supposed to go. Even if she was in the lane the base was completely covered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2021

Tough to call this in real time, but I would like to see an ejection of the runner on this. There is no call for it. She didn't just "step on" F3, and she didn't just get the back of her foot. Yes, F3 was set up awkward, but there was NO call for going after her knee.

And yes, the runner did. She was out of the runners lane the entire time and then flared out just a little further.

No way! The runner? Why because she defense obstructed the bag?

Jun 18, 2023
I'm torn, looks like the runner might've just been lunging for that extra inch to reach the base and wasn't really paying attention, because it was dumb place to aim in an attempt to be safe, because you're not on the base if you're on the leg..

May 29, 2015
This is exactly how I saw it…where was she supposed to go. Even if she was in the lane the base was completely covered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way! The runner? Why because she defense obstructed the bag?

Was the runner safe due to obstruction?

Obstruction is not a license to initiate contact, particularly not malicious contact. This is the part I am saying “Don’t coach your players to do this.”

I do not disagree that F3 was obstructing, but she was doing so with her foot, not her leg. Had the runner stepped on her foot, ankle, or heel, I would get it. But she didn’t. She clipped her upper leg and then almost tripped over her foot because she wasn’t going for the base.

Oct 14, 2019
Obstruction is not a license to initiate contact, particularly not malicious contact. This is the part I am saying “Don’t coach your players to do this.”

I do not disagree that F3 was obstructing, but she was doing so with her foot, not her leg. Had the runner stepped on her foot, ankle, or heel, I would get it. But she didn’t. She clipped her upper leg and then almost tripped over her foot because she wasn’t going for the base.

So she clipped her upper leg, cut her sock and then stepped on her foot? Not sure this is physically possible.

If the runner had landed on the first baseman's foot, she could have destroyed her ankle. This was a dangerous and irresponsible play by 1B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968