8 and Under Practice Schedule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
When my daughter committed to Fall Ball the practice schedule was two- two hour practices per week with an optional hitting practice one other night for two hours. A few weeks ago the optional practice was made mandatory for a total of 6-7hours of practice per week. We feel like this is to much for this age group. What is the typical? Also we had committed to something else after the season started and we new the schedule. We told our coach that we would have to miss one practice b/c of a prior commitment that was made when our original schedule was just two practices. Now my daughter is being punished. This is a league/tournament team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hate when someone tells you one thing and then, changes it. How is your DD being punished? She is what, 7 or 8? Go ahead with your life, this too shall pass. (Personally, I think that 2 hour practices are too long for your age group.)

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It seems a little much if they are also playing a couple times a week in the fall ball league. To me once someone tells you something is optional it stays optional.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I can't see making much of anything mandatory at age 8. Having said that, if hitting practice was "optional" and no one showed up, and as a team they were struggling at the plate, then I could see making hitting practice "mandatory." But you don't punish an 8-year-old for other commitments that the parents made. And I'm with Amy, 90 minutes of practice tops, but it has to be filled with stuff that keeps them moving and focused.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
An 1 1/4 or ½ twice a week until school starts sounds about right me. The same would apply to Spring but this is a semi-down time.

Instead of an Team optional hitting practice he should rotate 3 or 4 players through each week. So every 3 weeks a player has a 20 minute hitting session with the coaches. Not perfect but it is hard to get a lot of individual time with players and if they hit a lot they do not seem to mind showing up. This would be the additional optional practive.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Our girls usually have no problem going two hours twice a week and sometimes when practice is going well, we ask the players if they want to keep going, and usually the answer is "yes!" Not everytime but more than 80%. We do give a lot of break time.

Tuesday reg practice 2 hours + sometimes
Thursday "optional" hitting practice only 1-1.5 hours
Saturday reg practice 2+ hours

It will be less when school starts and was less when playing league ball in the spring.

Not saying right or wrong. Just saying what we have done.