70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I’d be curious to know if pitcher/hitters get hurt more frequently while pitching or batting?

May 13, 2023
I look at it this way, any position player has the chance to get hurt while batting and running.
Defensive players are a lot more interchangeable than finding a player who can pitch.
Some positions don’t even have the depth that the pitching position usually has.
Pitching is completely it's own technical skill set.
A true athlete will want to use their talent to the fullest -
Hmmm? Then this may apply...
If it's a pitcher leading their team that may be the fullest asset they can be as an athlete.
if pitchers can add to the lineup I’m all for letting them hit.
Yes I agree that if pitchers can add to the lineup let them hit.
*But if the rest of the lineup can hit just as well and a DP can hit for them just as well then...... there is the consideration of saving the pitcher. 🤷‍♀️

May 13, 2023
Generally see more injuries when batters are running the bases and sliding and diving.
Not so much injury from being in the Box.

May 27, 2013
Defensive players are a lot more interchangeable than finding a player who can pitch.

I think you’d be very surprised at how often this isn’t necessarily the case (need to look outside of P5, higher-level mid majors). There are instances when the pitcher is actually better at other field positions than the actual position player, or you only have one true SS on a team. You have to take into consideration the colleges that don’t have quite the elite athlete draw that others do.

At least most teams have multiple, serviceable pitchers.

May 13, 2023
I think you’d be very surprised at how often this isn’t necessarily the case (need to look outside of P5, higher-level mid majors). There are instances when the pitcher is actually better at other field positions than the actual position player, or you only have one true SS on a team. You have to take into consideration the colleges that don’t have quite the elite athlete draw that others do.

At least most teams have multiple, serviceable pitchers.
I am not saying pitchers cannot be valuable at other positions.
Simply that defensive players are a lot more interchangeable.

I look at all levels of softball. And there is a time and a place where teams make the decision to save their pitcher with good reason.

That said a handful of average pitchers is an average pitcher in the circle no matter what decision is made.

Could bring up this scenario.
You have your #1 or #2 pitcher in the circle.
Each of which can also play shortstop.
( one of the two pitchers is resting.)
The shortstop makes two errors.
Would you pull your #1 or #2 pitcher to replace shorstop to then put in the #3 or #4 pitcher
in a game you need to win?
You have to win because you have the championship game next.

Jun 8, 2016
Even teams that invest millions in their pitchers realize the risk/reward scale is tipped at some level of hitting by the pitcher…eg Ohtani. What level that is depends on how good of a hitter that pitcher is in comparison to his/her peers..

May 27, 2013
That said a handful of average pitchers is an average pitcher in the circle no matter what decision is made.

Could bring up this scenario.
You have your #1 or #2 pitcher in the circle.
Each of which can also play shortstop.
( one of the two pitchers is resting.)
The shortstop makes two errors.
Would you pull your #1 or #2 pitcher to replace shorstop to then put in the #3 or #4 pitcher
in a game you need to win?
You have to win because you have the championship game next.

Well, if I have a handful of average pitchers but one is a better SS than the one currently on the field, I would not hesitate to swap them out. Obviously if the SS is making errors (assuming we’re talking college-level here) then the ball is being put in play and the current pitcher is not dominating.

Obviously if I have a dominant pitcher and she’s K’ing almost everyone (and the SS muffed a couple of plays) then she’ll stay in. Can always bring the SP back in if the sub can’t get it done.

Difficult to make that kind of decision without seeing what is actually happening during the game, or knowing the score, etc.

I would make decisions on the current game as it is a must-win; I’m not focusing on the “if we win” championship situation at this point because it means nothing if we can’t get past the current game.

ETA: The original focus was pitchers who hit. If my best pitcher also leads the team in hitting, then she is absolutely somewhere in my starting lineup for this game - DP is a good spot.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I don’t know - has it happened much to Cagle? I don’t think we see this happen intentionally in SB very often.

UMBC and previously Villanova’s best pitchers also hit.

Same with Roby on Louisville. She was the HR leader this year late into the season. And is their starting pitcher.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles