70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
You know how it goes. One way to stay the best is to hoard the best players. Even if you never start them, at least no one can start them against you.

I know I’m an odd duck, but there is no way I would want to go sit and watch, even if there was a shiny trinket at the end.

Nov 29, 2009
If you hold the pocket radar just right and run at the pitcher as she releases you can add a good 8 mph.

This is how you do it. The Grandpa Radar Video

Oct 4, 2018
I know I’m an odd duck, but there is no way I would want to go sit and watch, even if there was a shiny trinket at the end.

Yup. As most of us do, we get lots of time to talk to our DDs driving to and from tourneys and practices. I tell every new coach before joining that DD will leave the team if she's not playing. And she'll leave the team if they make her a PO. We discuss this up front.

Nothing to do with me. My DD would rather pitch, hit and field on an average team than just do a subset of those on a great team. And we're up front and honest about it. And we totally understand that if she's not playing well enough to warrant playing time, that's on her, not on the coach.

[EDIT: I'm talking about extended periods of not playing, not the sitting an inning here and there, or not fielding for an inning or two after pitching, etc.]

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
I tell every new coach before joining that DD will leave the team if she's not playing. And she'll leave the team if they make her a PO.
*Disclaimer - I totally get your point. We obviously spend a lot of time teaching our kids to advocate for themselves. This issue of being considered a PO doesn't always go away when your DD get's to College. I can see it with some kids who at that point in their career still can't track a ball in the OF, have any speed or possess a baserunning IQ or know how to hit the ball (and there may be various reasons for this). However, some Coaches take away the opportunity to play other positions or hit because of pre-conceived notions and should get some push back. We've seen both sides of that coin. It's not quite as easy for these college players to "change teams" as it is in TB and of course, there's no guarantee the coaching staff you are recruited by will be the coaching staff you play for.

May 13, 2023
Do think there is a time and a place where there is good reason to save the pitcher's Energy and keep them Safer for their Ability to perform in the circle.

When is that time and place?
Maybe the questions up for debate 🤷‍♀️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01