70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Of course there can be a time and a place, everything can be situational. I just don't believe that it can be an across the board, no questions asked rule.

Oct 4, 2018
Do think there is a time and a place where there is good reason to save the pitcher's Energy and keep them Safer for their Ability to perform in the circle.

When is that time and place?
Maybe the questions up for debate 🤷‍♀️

Great question. I do think late in the day, on super hot days, end of a 2 or 3-day tourney, resting the next starting pitcher isn't a bad idea.

Jun 20, 2015
we will be 90+ degrees with 7 games over 3 days in Columbus starting friday. And I will be rotating pitchers and catchers starting in the first game. Never to early to be smart.

May 27, 2013
Do think there is a time and a place where there is good reason to save the pitcher's Energy and keep them Safer for their Ability to perform in the circle.

When is that time and place?
Maybe the questions up for debate 🤷‍♀️
My dd turned down schools that said she would have to become a PO. They didn’t even want to see her hit at camps. As a freshman and sophomore in college, she was top 1-2 on her team in BA, hits, runs, and steals. Glad her coach was willing to give it a try. When she doesn’t pitch, she’s usually the DP. It gives her enough of a break in the dugout so she’s rested enough to pitch (we play double-headers).

I look at it this way, any position player has the chance to get hurt while batting and running. Some positions don’t even have the depth that the pitching position usually has. A true athlete will want to use their talent to the fullest - if pitchers can add to the lineup I’m all for letting them hit.

Jun 20, 2015
The pitcher only tag is usually used to prevent injuries or getting thrown at while batting. You don't think a team facing Alabama would try and knock Fouts out of the game with FB to the ribs? Especially if their pitcher not batting???? Just saying.

May 27, 2013
The pitcher only tag is usually used to prevent injuries or getting thrown at while batting. You don't think a team facing Alabama would try and knock Fouts out of the game with FB to the ribs? Especially if their pitcher not batting???? Just saying.
I don’t know - has it happened much to Cagle? I don’t think we see this happen intentionally in SB very often.

UMBC and previously Villanova’s best pitchers also hit.

Jun 8, 2016
That’s testicle stuff..I am not sure I have seen a college fastpitch game where a kid was intentionally thrown at..

Jun 20, 2015
i'm just saying. even accidentally. why risk best pitcher if she's not an absolute bomber of a hitter??? more and more elite level pitchers are not batting or playing other fielding positions.

Jun 8, 2016
i'm just saying. even accidentally. why risk best pitcher if she's not an absolute bomber of a hitter??? more and more elite level pitchers are not batting or playing other fielding positions.

Becoming a good hitter is hard enough without having to practice pitching 4+ hours a week. Outside of the coaches who decide to not put their best lineup out there on principle (which probably does include the injury risk you mentioned) the reason is probably because most are just not good enough hitters. You probably see more pitchers hit at the lower levels of college ball. Jordy Bahl hit in the middle of the lineup of a TB club that won the PGF 18u championship and while she hits once in a while she just isn’t a good enough hitter to hit every game in that lineup. If she was playing for a mid major she probably would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01