43' pitching rule change at 14u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
we are a first year 16A team this year....and played 16's and 18's last year....until the USSSA Nationals, in which we played in the 14A Division (national runner's up I may add) was at 43'....we choose not to go to ASA 14A Nationals because they were all still at 40' and we had not pitched or hit at that distance for a year and a half at that point....didn't seem to make since. The girls had to go back to rubber cleats from metal too, and they complained about that for the whole tournament. Others 14A teams that we know who did go to the ASA 14A Nationals, said that their players struggled quite a bit going back to the 40' distance.

as for "40' v. 43' "?....depends on the pitcher's style IMO.....rise ball and power pitchers would be tougher at 40' for sure...while curve and drop ball pitchers probably like the extra distance for breaking stuff....but I assumed the change was to accommidate college coaches that were tired of getting HS pitchers that were successful at 40' and watching them struggle at 43' at the college level....

oh and also....there is no such thing as a "cheap home run".....

Sep 18, 2011
I'm curious to see how it will play out this year. DD's a second year 14U player. Team had modest success at 14U ASA A nationals last year at 40 feet. Our pitcher is the best in the history of the organization, so if anyone can adjust to the extra 3 feet, it's her. We will find out in a couple of months.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Well my DD (14U) hit 5 to the fence this weekend. One was caught right at the fence and the other 4 one-hopped into it (1 triple and 3 doubles). Not quite over, but further than she his last year. Either way, I'll take her success during the tournament at the plate.

On the flip side, she got welcomed to 14U as a pitcher, too. She served up her first over the fence HR. Then when the girl came up again, she served up her 2nd over the fence HR. She pitched it right where the coach called it, according to the catcher...both times. :)

I did notice a lot more HR's being hit this past weekend at the tournament.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl