40 ft vs 43 ft?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
our pitchers will be throwing from both 40 ft and 43 ft this season. and in discussions with the other coaches some believe that we should only throw fastball and change up @ 40 ft and the movement pitches at 43 ft? the reason being that @ 40 ft that ball doesn't have enough time to move? my arguement is,the reason they moved back to 43 ft is because the PITCHERS were dominating the game at the 40 ft range. and even though a fastball is better @ 40ft than it is @ 43ft,why limit your pitching staff if they have other pitches? and as i read on another thread,the batter has less time to react to movement at 40ft, making it even more advantage for our pitchers. i understand that you will have MORE movement at 43,but you also have more reaction time???

Jul 26, 2010
Had to deal with that a few years ago before the ASA made the switch. It's no problem, honestly. Here's the secret:

Don't tell the pitchers what the distance is, ever, and don't tell them there is any difference.

Honestly, they don't care and it doesn't effect them. Most of the noise about the whole thing is between the coaches ears.

The BATTERS are affected way, way more then the pitchers. Their timing gets thrown off and you'll see a lot of them on their front foot weakly hitting balls at 43 feet.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Same here as Star. We got caught up in the Fed move to 43' in HS ( spring ), 14u travel at 40' ( state/national events ) and 16/18 travel at 43' when we would move up for experience.

Best to not even say squat to the pitchers and just pitch normally.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
the pitchers don't have the problem !!! the coach that calls the pitches doesn't want to call any of their movement pitches @ 40ft? because he doesn't think movement is effective until you pitch at 43 ft.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
6 of one, half doizen of the other.

Hitter gets to see the ball for 3 more feet, pitchers get 3 more feet for their pitches to move more.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
our pitchers will be throwing from both 40 ft and 43 ft this season. and in discussions with the other coaches some believe that we should only throw fastball and change up @ 40 ft and the movement pitches at 43 ft? the reason being that @ 40 ft that ball doesn't have enough time to move? my arguement is,the reason they moved back to 43 ft is because the PITCHERS were dominating the game at the 40 ft range. and even though a fastball is better @ 40ft than it is @ 43ft,why limit your pitching staff if they have other pitches? and as i read on another thread,the batter has less time to react to movement at 40ft, making it even more advantage for our pitchers. i understand that you will have MORE movement at 43,but you also have more reaction time???

There are 10U girls moving the ball at 35'. If the pitcher has the pitch, she should throw it whatever distance she is pitching from. It will make no difference to the pitcher - and the coaches are over thinking it.

My DD is changing distances and also ball size from rec games to travel games and back again and it doesn't seem to faze her at all.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
no my daughter played pitched from both 40 and 43 ft last year for another team. and used whatever pitches she had at the time at both distances. now playing with a new team and yes the coach omly wants to throw fastball,and change ups when we play from 40 ft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd