23u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD's HS coach said that he might want her to to fill in at times on his 23u team in the summer. It came up because her current team is not doing very many tournaments because of injuries etc... She's 14 but he said she could handle it because they won't be playing top competition. We want her to get reps in of course but I was wondering about the age difference. She's an open book with us and we hear all of the stuff that goes on in HS, so I don't think she'll necessarily be exposed to anything shocking. I'm the one that's always shocked! It is her HS coach and would be made up mainly from players from his old travel team, which is part of the organization she is in.
BTW, this is the same coach that made her a JV/Varsity floater because she wasn't "nimble" enough to be straight varsity yet:p

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd played 23U this year. I just don't know. The competition she faced was very good. In fact, she faced players from the Big 10, SEC, ... as well as a couple of former All Americans. DD's team was fortunate enouh to come back from the loser's bracket to place 3rd in the National tournament. I forget what association since it really doesn't matter to us. BTW, her team is comprised of mostly D-I players. My dd is one of only a couple of D-II.

DD's HS coach said that he might want her to to fill in at time on his 23u team in the summer. It came up because her current team is not doing very many tournaments because of injuries etc... She's 14 but he said she could handle it because they won't be playing top competition. We want her to get reps in of course but I was wondering about the age difference. She's an open book with us and we hear all of the stuff that goes on in HS, so I don't think she'll necessarily be exposed to anything shocking. I'm the one that's always shocked! It is her HS coach and would be made up mainly from players from his old travel team, which is part of the organization she is in.
BTW, this is the same coach that made her a JV/Varsity floater because she wasn't "nimble" enough to be straight varsity yet:p

Seems like a stretch, not saying it could not work but maybe your DD would be better off networking or hitting the local softball boards looking for opportunities to be a pick up player on a couple different teams (14U or 16U) when her team is not playing.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks guys. I thought it might be pushing it a bit. We tried with a 14U team, but they said they couldn't do it because she is registered 16U A and it seems like a lot of the other teams have large rosters, but we'll keep looking. If not, I guess just getting her into more clinics will be the best we can do.

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks guys. I thought it might be pushing it a bit. We tried with a 14U team, but they said they couldn't do it because she is registered 16U A and it seems like a lot of the other teams have large rosters, but we'll keep looking. If not, I guess just getting her into more clinics will be the best we can do.

Speaking ASA, if she is age eligible she should not be locked to 16's until she actually plays in a national qualifier, and at this time of year there havent been any yet.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

I would just just say no. If this is the Coach, who was wrong about your DD, when he was getting paid... He's probably wrong again.

This is my personal policy ...If someone tells me no. I tell them no the next 7 times. DD and whoever. Of course DD knows how to get the 7 no's back with meaningless stuff. No one else no's though....Simple bankruptcy law... its just 7 years though.

iMlearning...how you liking the book???

Oct 10, 2011
I would just just say no. If this is the Coach, who was wrong about your DD, when he was getting paid... He's probably wrong again.

This is my personal policy ...If someone tells me no. I tell them no the next 7 times. DD and whoever. Of course DD knows how to get the 7 no's back with meaningless stuff. No one else no's though....Simple bankruptcy law... its just 7 years though.

So far i like it and just sat down to read some more. I'm not in a big hurry because I wouldn't make any changes to her swing at the moment. I also have to read something several times before I understand it! Thank goodness it comes with videos!

Oct 10, 2011

He might not be wrong. She is fast for her size, but not fast compared to the two he took. If she gets her bat going though, he might change her mind because she is 5'6 and can hit 300 feet:) Her ankle is getting better and it's early...no real games until the end of the month. He said she would have to be significantly better than the juniors for him to justify it to the parents. At this point, The other two are the best on the team, period.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, the players at 23U are:

(1) Very good college players who want to play for Team USA. (You said the coach would not be playing the really good teams, so your DD would probably never even see any of these players.)
(2) D3 players (They don't play that many games in-season, so they like to play in the summer.)
(3) D1 players who didn't start and are struggling to stay on their college teams.

If a kid is starting on a D1 or D2 team, they usually take the summer off. After nine months of softball, they are ready for a break.

At 23U, the players are adults, so they don't treat the game like 12U children do. The games are almost like "pick up" games. The players decide batting order and positions. The coach sits on the bench, keeps score and wanders out to coach 3rd base every once in a while. After the game, everyone takes off--some go for a beer, others go home or go to to work. (Think "slow pitch softball" vibe.)

My suggestion is to have her try it out one weekend and see what she thinks.

My DD played one summer of 23U ball. She didn't like it. The competition level wasn't very good. After nine months of softball, she wanted a break. This may seem paradoxical: The skill level of the players will be good although the talent level will be average to low.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Speaking ASA, if she is age eligible she should not be locked to 16's until she actually plays in a national qualifier, and at this time of year there havent been any yet.

They almost always play Utrip, but maybe the other teams don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl