14 yo DD Swing imput welcomed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Kinda hard but I would start from the beginning. Try this video for some basics.

Biggest issue overall is she just seems stiff and uncomfortable instead of in a comfortable athletic position.

Next way too much upper body shoulder turn, I think it wold really be hard to see the ball if she turned that much during a pitch.

Really looks like she needs to engage her lower body a little more.

As much as we have talked about bat path and hands in another thread Hope's is actually OK aside from being a little out of position because of the large shoulder turn.

Finally hard to see since can't see feet and plate but it looks like the ball is placed way to far out front at first I thought she was extended to soon but given how far out in front the ball is I think that is OK.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
She has a good barrel action. She loads her barrel and then starts to flaten it out. The problem after that is her upper body flies past the lower half
So the goal would be to work on the lower half. Getting off the backside better

The other adjustment would be to start her hands at the top of the shoulder or even a couple of inches above.
She is dropping her hands to get to the ball verses dropping the barrel and adding some tilt to the waist.

That is what I would work on.

To work on the lower half you could throw balls, and work on getting her back side to release

SL

Thanks to all, for the input. KenB, That is not an UFO it has been identified.. It's a foam golf ball we use in her back elbow. It reminds her not to "Cast" her hands out. Mr. David.. I definitely agree with "Too Much Shoulder turn" but two weeks ago there was none.. Trying to form muscle memory and Hope it will reduce some. Straightleg... she works hard on her lower half. She normally starts off doing walk through drills and is smooth, fluid and gets the weight shifted to the front. But her "GO TO" move is that laying back, reverse C move. Which is great if she was a golfer from the 60's but not so much here.. How do we fix that?

I would really like to see a video where we can see her feet. This sounds really weird but most people who are not engaging their lower half have a very all arms type swing that is really not very sound but her upper half does not look bad at all. I think she need just a little engagement of the lower half, even if you don't want her striding at least an up and down in the same place. I think that is something else I noticed if she is not going to take a stride she needs to have a slightly wider stance, if she takes a small stride where she is at is fine. Again I think the key is going to be getting the lower half working then syncing them up so they work together. The shoulder turn will probably work itself out, try some front toss...again I don't think she will be able to do that shoulder turn with a ball coming the other key is that turn should be happen as she is striding forward reference Ken B's first post coil (with lower half) slight turn and tilt with shoulder all occurs with stride.

I would really like to see a video where we can see her feet. This sounds really weird but most people who are not engaging their lower half have a very all arms type swing that is really not very sound but her upper half does not look bad at all. I think she need just a little engagement of the lower half, even if you don't want her striding at least an up and down in the same place. I think that is something else I noticed if she is not going to take a stride she needs to have a slightly wider stance, if she takes a small stride where she is at is fine. Again I think the key is going to be getting the lower half working then syncing them up so they work together. The shoulder turn will probably work itself out, try some front toss...again I don't think she will be able to do that shoulder turn with a ball coming the other key is that turn should be happen as she is striding forward reference Ken B's first post coil (with lower half) slight turn and tilt with shoulder all occurs with stride.

Swing BV - YouTube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet