Another 10u Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A little of both. The hands load first w the hips and are in the process of firing before toe touch. Doing hand-eccentric drills would exacerbate this imo. She’s firing her hands from a poor position.
I deleted because I read your post 14..but thanks.

Nov 18, 2015
Just went back and watched the swing again, and saw the extension issue as well. In addition to the bottom hand not helping, it looks like she keeps the top arm tucked to her body (i.e. no extension) b/c that's how she's supporting her top hand/wrist/bat. I'd guess this isn't even a conscious thought - the body is moving that way b/c the front hand is on vacation.

I'm still not really seeing the hands firing early per WW's comment - but will try again later. :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
For me the weight never
Just went back and watched the swing again, and saw the extension issue as well. In addition to the bottom hand not helping, it looks like she keeps the top arm tucked to her body (i.e. no extension) b/c that's how she's supporting her top hand/wrist/bat. I'd guess this isn't even a conscious thought - the body is moving that way b/c the front hand is on vacation.

I'm still not really seeing the hands firing early per WW's comment - but will try again later. :)

For me, the weight never really shifts, so she flips the barrel at the ball. Could be an anterior load issue also.

Edit: notice how far the back knee hangs over the toes? Hard for a kid to over come that deep of flexion and move well.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
First post!!

My 10u DD seems to be doing weird things with her hands causing her to rollover the top of the ball or always hit off the endcap. When she does barrel the ball up she has a ton of power but lately it seems to few and few between her squaring the ball up.
Any suggestions?

Any feedback on any part of her swing will be gladly accepted, any drills to help out will also be welcomed.

She is pulling her left shoulder too soon which is forcing her hands to come up instead of stay down on the ball. Have her loosen her grip. This will help. Her hands are not too high. Read Charlie Lau on hitting. He wrote the book on fundamental hitting. It will help her immensely.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2022-0911-6-0.00.jpg

Above, at toe touch, her rear forearm is reasonably flat (good), but her bat is flat (bad), it should be closer to 55 deg (yellow)

At hip slot below, her hands stayed at the armpit (great), but she has barely moved the bat head back toward the catcher (bad), because of the initial flat bat (first pic). Easy fix.
2022-0911-7.JPG

Then, below from hip slot to 'contact', some one has told her to throw her hands toward the clouds (yellow, very, very bad), vs toward the ball (green). I have never seen this before. Whoever told her to do this, never speak to them again :)

2022-0911-6.gif

I said 'contact' above because, if she sets the bat properly (55deg) at toe touch, and throws her hands in the right direction (green) after hip slot, she should have made contact at that point. Notice how far the bat head is away from the ball in the above clip.

Two easy fixes. Do 2 dry drills (no ball, tee).
1. Stride to toe touch, make sure (at toe touch) the bat head is up and the rear FOREARM is flat.
2. Start at hip slot and throw the hands more toward the ball.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Why would anyone use a cue that is provably false?

(I laugh as I write this, since almost everyone in baseball uses mostly false or destructive cues and drills)

Jun 28, 2022
Two easy fixes. Do 2 dry drills (no ball, tee).
1. Stride to toe touch, make sure (at toe touch) the bat head is up and the rear FOREARM is flat.
2. Start at hip slot and throw the hands more toward the ball.

Any videos of said drills? I think I know what you are talking about but want to make sure I am not pushing down bad info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee