13 YO DD hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Another of Arizona State's hitters with a similar grip .....

fekroj.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I think when you said "forearm/hand stacked over the elbow" this implies a vertical orientation. Point "A" stacked over point "B" would indicate a vertical line.

Maybe this is where your confusion came from with FiveFrameSwing.

Maybe we are splitting hairs.

Like I said many, many times, we dont use the word vertical or imply it.

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
33k7h9w.gif

Look again. The forearm and hand stack over the elbow in the swing. It happens.
Howard has said this many times. How it stack's depends on pitch location.

Inside pitch it will be more on top
Outside pitch it will be more on an angle

Cant be more clear on this.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
33k7h9w.gif

Look again. The forearm and hand stack over the elbow in the swing. It happens.
Howard has said this many times. How it stack's depends on pitch location.

Inside pitch it will be more on top
Outside pitch it will be more on an angle

Cant be more clear on this.

Straightleg

SL, the earlier demonstrations of what was being defined as stacked were in fact very clear. In some of the demonstrations the orientation of the "top hand" + "rear forearm" + "rear elbow" was even pointed out. In many of your demonstrations the vertical orientation was quite evident.

17pehl.jpg

The orientation was, IMO anyway, far from ideal and not supported by the Hanson Principle.

There were even some posts attempting to proclaim that such a stacked rear forearm orientation, as late as 'bat lag', was superior. The logic used discussed an imaginary rope being tied to the bat, with the other end of the rope held from behind the catcher. It was suggested that one was "stronger" in terms of pulling on this imaginary rope with this stacked orientation, and that this was therefore justification for swinging through such a stacked forearm orientation.

I see no reason to make a big deal of it. I think most people recognize it as an improper objective. We all make mistakes along the way. It's part of the journey.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, the earlier demonstrations of what was being defined as stacked were in fact very clear. In some of the demonstrations the orientation of the "top hand" + "rear forearm" + "rear elbow" was even pointed out. In many of your demonstrations the vertical orientation was quite evident.

17pehl.jpg

The orientation was, IMO anyway, far from ideal and not supported by the Hanson Principle.

There were even some posts attempting to proclaim that such a stacked rear forearm orientation, as late as 'bat lag', was superior. The logic used discussed an imaginary rope being tied to the bat, with the other end of the rope held from behind the catcher. It was suggested that one was "stronger" in terms of pulling on this imaginary rope with this stacked orientation, and that this was therefore justification for swinging through such a stacked forearm orientation.

I see no reason to make a big deal of it. I think most people recognize it as an improper objective. We all make mistakes along the way. It's part of the journey.

Most people on this board are trying to teach their kids. Talking ENGLISH will help them along the way. just a heads up for you.
You can thank me later

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Most people on this board are trying to teach their kids. Talking ENGLISH will help them along the way. just a heads up for you.
You can thank me later

Straightleg

I’m not sure I'm following you SL. My use of the English language may not be perfect, but I find it suitable for my purposes. I do receive a fair number of follow-up PMs, Emails and phone calls … so I do appreciate that there is a desire for finer details that often aren’t included within a casual post.

The word ‘vertical’, IMO, accurately describes the relationship of the rear forearm in several of your demonstrations. When Howard used the words “this is stacked” in his demonstration, he had his rear forearm in a vertical orientation, and while maintaining a vertical orientation he traced the outline of his forearm with his other hand. The "English" words he chose in his description where “this is stacked”. That is how he described the near perfect vertical orientation of his forearm.

I don’t really have another point to make along this line. I believe most people now recognize that a goal of a vertical rear forearm is improper … and if they don’t recognize it, then at least I tried to shed some light on the topic.

Hopefully this was explanatory.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
9krpe9.gif

I agree there is some pushing or to much hands to the ball.

If you watch the video you can see the hands "sliding" forward and not staying back compared to the Pujols clip.

I wouldn't mess with what is comfortable for the hands in the stance. She doesn't start her swing with the hands high, she brings them down before the swing.

The hands are sneaking forward as the body starts, looks to mechanical. Her posture looks to upright. Which is fine for the high pitch.

There are other things, although I don't want to over whelm you with information. The front arm tells the story as there is no stretch/connection because the hands are always sneaking forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl