12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2020
There was a 2nd year 12U ('08) player at the SoCal USA Softball All American Games tryout that was clocked at 64 mph.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
That would have been incredible to have seen live and in person! Imagine her hitting a 65/85 lb. 11 year old in the ribs with that, it'd be a short FP career!

It was a strong feeder program league for the high schools, and my daughter was a 5th grader on a team that didn't have enough older travel players, so she got to play. Most teams were 7th/8th graders. I was afraid before the first practice that my DD was overmatched and almost didn't have her do it, but a couple of other 5th graders also played. So we're walking up to the field for the first practice, and Barnhill was throwing off the rubber to her dad. My jaw dropped. Holy crap! No way my DD can play if this is what the pitching is like. She'll never be able to get out of the way! And Barnhill was a little wild then, too. But we were reassured -- "She plays for your team. Nobody else throws like this.'' I think DD went 3-for-21 that season vs. mere mortal 7th and 8th graders.

Here's something just as amazing - In addition to Barnhill, this team had a current #4 hitter in the ACC, another who played at a mid-major, another who committed to a mid-major but wound up not playing, another who starts currently at D-II, another who was a walk-on in the ACC, and finally a shortstop who was probably better all-around than all of them at the time, but kinda small and didn't love it enough to play in college. And Barnhill pitched half the games (about 5) and never won! Why? Well, a lot of those players (teammates) were still in 5th and 6th grade, and it's a huge difference then. And it was a pretty strong league. Barnhill would strike most of them out, but eventually, one would reach on error, walk, get hit by a pitch, then a wild pitch, another walk, a passed ball, once or twice, somebody would actually get a hit, and next thing you know, we'd lost 3-2. Not sure she wasn't also working on her game and not totally focused on outs, and it was a developmental/feeder league, so that makes sense in retrospect. Regardless, those were fun memories. If they'd all stayed together in high school, they'd have won a state title. Barnhill did, but with another school.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Good question and I personally can't answer as I agree it happens but rare and the ones that do it are on the top of the age boundry most likely.
However, I think if the question was for 14U I would say it is a much better percentage. 12U to 14U is a huge change in my experience and that is when softball changes for the better. Again, just my experience but seen plenty of 14U players that are truely 14 and on the low side of the age cutoff throw low 60's.

Jun 19, 2016
I know a couple that throw in the low 60s in Texas and they are both really young 2008s....both current 6th graders...confirmed on Pocket Radar. Both are around 5'4, and both are exceptionally good pitchers. Not really big but bigger than average. To be honest anything 55+ in 12U is exceedingly rare...even at the top tournaments. I can also gurrantee that it is possible to hit off of both them from 40'. There are no unhittable pitchers. I have also seen that guy in California with a facebook page....Power.... something or another. He has a couple of 12U girls that are really fast.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I know a couple that throw in the low 60s in Texas and they are both really young 2008s....both current 6th graders...confirmed on Pocket Radar. Both are around 5'4, and both are exceptionally good pitchers. To be honest anything 55+ in 12U is exceedingly rare...even at the top tournaments. I can also gurrantee that it is possible to hit off of both them from 40'.
if you don't mind, where will they end up playing in HS? Always curious and like to keep my eye on the talent in TX. No worries if you don't want to say.

S3

Oct 10, 2018
I bet their dads also tell you they have mastered 10 pitches too. LOL (this is a joke and not directed at any poster here)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
I bet not. I don't think either one of them would say they have mastered anything. I would say both of them have parents that are pretty darn hard on them.

I was speaking in general of parents who have inflated ideas of their DD's pitching speed, not directed at you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma