12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Yes they happen. I personally clocked 2 in 2nd year 12s at 60. They are unicorns. They're both 62-64 now at 2nd yr 14s an focusing more on perfecting movement and spin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2012
USA
florida. South Carolina. On demand. Not live.
Thanks! Reason I ask is that you mentioned 61-63 as point of reference but it really depends on the speed gun at the particular park. I am glad you mention SC because Kelsey Oh is one that stood out to me last year or the year before (can't remember which year). I watched her throw 69 consistently one weekend and then the following weekend she didn't break 61. Looked the same to me but depending on the gun, park, etc. will determine what the true speed is. I don't have an answer for what is right or wrong but pretty confident that 61-63 for Florida and SC is probably not a good point of reference to go by.

Nov 18, 2013
I’ve seen a few high level Pgf 12 u teams where pitchers are throwing mid-high 50s, but I’ve learned over the years to laugh off at the dads at every tournament who talk about the 12U girl they saw last weekend who was throwing 60.
The girls throwing 55 and up at 12U often struggle to get to 60. They are the ones that develop fast and the trajectory of pitching won’t be linear. 55 and 12 doesn’t always mean 63 at 17. Those last few mph take a lot of work to achieve.

The girls that develop early are more noticeable when they drop off, but I don’t think they’re any more prone to not making it than late bloomers. The only real difference is they had limited success before giving it up.

I’d put my money on a 12U that throws 55 reaching 60 before a slower 12U. I’ve seen lots of the kids that develop early stick with it and nobody catches them.

Apr 20, 2017
In the southeast at the biggest tournaments last year in 12u I clocked 2 girls at 60+. This was in game to batters. One consistent 60/61 and one at 62/63. Both were big girls close to 6 ft. And both were on PGF teams. Several were in that 58/59 range. Last fall moving to 14u I have seen a few more. Most have the accuracy to go along with it but a couple are still wild. They are out there and do exist. They are not as common as social media claims. There are probably a few more that can do it but don’t have the consistency for games yet.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...some people never heard about early recruitment.
...nor saw the players who were recruited in 14u.
Those talents were noted and followed in 12u.

Certainly still, even without early recruitment, there are athletes who stand out early on.

...some people will never get the chance to play with or against the top tier players in all age brackets.
...The great thing is
Everyone can make it a point to GO WATCH.
To see what can be.
To Set GOALS !

GO SOFTBALL !

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
12u pitchers throwing 58-60 miles per hour.
Its a real thing.
Wonder how many % reach this potential at this age?
Guesses _____?

Makes an impression for players to work on their hitting!!!
Based on what I have seen....if I had to guess.... probably 10-20 in the entire US. It would be far less than 1%. It is extremely rare. I have honestly never seen any 12U pitcher that can throw this fast that I would classify as really big or an early bloomer. The usually are slightly bigger than average, gifted and blessed with strength, and work really hard. There is no shortcut to success.

Nov 18, 2013
I think we’re going to see more and more girls at 60+ As early as 12U. Physically the tools have always been there. I think I remember they put a minimum age limit on female tennis players because you’d have young teens winning tournaments and growing up way too fast. they girls today have several advantages those of us with older DD’s didn’t.

-They’re learning IR from the get go.
-They’re starting lessons earlier.
-Step back/start back.
-The average sizes and strength of kids is always increasing.

I’m sure there are more, but it’s bedtime a d my brain is done for the night.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Mercado Athletics 12U
One of there 2nd year 12u teams
(Coaches & pitchers names left edited out )
Is playing very strong right now.
Won a tournament.
Also earned their pgf birth to premier already.
Has a pitcher throwing 60-61.
*able to reach that speed.

Mercado Athletics also has a first year 12u team
(Names edited)
Has a pitcher throwing 58-59.
Who just turned 12 yr old 5'6"
Parents are both tall and she is expected to be 5'10 min.
*able to reach that speed.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Based on what I have seen....if I had to guess.... probably 10-20 in the entire US. It would be far less than 1%. It is extremely rare. I have honestly never seen any 12U pitcher that can throw this fast that I would classify as really big or an early bloomer. The usually are slightly bigger than average, gifted and blessed with strength, and work really hard. There is no shortcut to success.
This is my guestimate as well.

Top twenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves