12U DD Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2015
Originally posted on 'Pop Time', but didn't want to hijack someone's thread.

Here is a warm-up throw down from this weekend. As much as we play, she has a pretty good idea of who is going to try and swipe a bag and who isn't. Her footwork for those girls is different. In this video, she comes out of her crouch, does the little shuffle of her feet and lets it fly. When the aforementioned girls are attempting to steal, there is not foot shuffle. She receives the ball, makes the exchange and drives straight off of her back leg. I think her handling time is quicker in those instances too, but we're talking about live bullets, so the sense of urgency is higher as well. Anyways, here's the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8i...ew?usp=sharing

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not seeing a "foot shuffle". I'm seeing your DD get her right foot under her body to be able to make a strong throw. Nothing wrong with that.

In a throwing situation, I prefer to see the throwing hand behind the mitt rather than behind the leg, but I know some people have a different approach.

Jan 10, 2015
I've read about that a lot. I'm not a big fan of it, but that's just me. I'm not saying it's not the RIGHT WAY either. It may be something that we end up going to before it's all said and done. The "foot shuffle" I was talking about is the same thing you were talking about. I just couldn't think of the words to describe it at the time. The words weren't coming to me at the time. You sir, are a poet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
LOL - Poet? Not a chance.

I guess "foot shuffle" isn't a bad way to describe it, as long as there aren't excessive steps being taken. To me, your DD looks just fine.

I like the throwing hand behind the mitt for a number of reasons. In a blocking situation, if the hand is behind the leg, it needs to travel through unprotected space to get behind the mitt as the mitt goes to the ground. Especially for younger players, I often see the throwing hand not making it all the way behind the mitt and left in a very vulnerable spot. If the hand starts behind the mitt, it stays protected all the way to the ground as both hands go down together. In a throwing situation, transfers are faster because the hand has less distance to travel.

Jan 10, 2015
This is just a question. Does anyone have any video or stills of TOP TIER collegiate catchers/professional catchers/national team catchers with their hand behind the mitt in a throwing situation? I would like to see them if they are out there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Admittedly, throwing hand behind the mitt is not a mechanic commonly seen in softball, but it is used in MLB. Most importantly for me, it makes sense for both safety and performance reasons.

I understand the logic of wanting to use top softball catchers as a model, but it has to be tempered with some common sense (IMO). The action with the throwing hand of these D1 catchers is not something I want to see my DD doing...at any level.
GeorgiaSt%20-%20Bad%20Hand_zpstcsuhhac.gif

Mercer%20-%20BadHand_zpsni3d5mo9.gif

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that this is typical for D1 catchers. There are plenty - a majority - that do a good job of keeping their throwing hand protected while receiving.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2015
The one thing I see in that video also is that this particular catcher drops her hand down and almost immediately brings it back up into harms way. I GET IT. Any exposure is bad exposure. Something I'm going to have to start working on with DD. Behind the mitt, making a fist right?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The one thing I see in that video also is that this particular catcher drops her hand down and almost immediately brings it back up into harms way. I GET IT. Any exposure is bad exposure. Something I'm going to have to start working on with DD. Behind the mitt, making a fist right?

The way my DD has learned (based on NECC's methods) is that the hand/fist starts behind the mitt, and comes straight back to the chest - in the "shadow" of the mitt - as the pitch is being caught. This is for a throwing/blocking situation (runners on base, 2 strikes).

My DD in "runners-on" mode...
10451710_10205353625306601_2002020479208355469_n.jpg

For a non-throwing/blocking situation, the throwing hand can be kept behind the leg (I like the hand down by the outside of the ankle) while receiving.
10676419_10205161765110216_6198371053513329440_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach