10U pitching ?s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2022
Trying to figure out how many innings is appropriate for a young pitcher( 9 years old). We just switched to travel ball and she is definitely not pitching as many innings as she did in rec ball. Which is totally fine, we def get reps in the weekly workouts. But how many pitches is appropriate in daily workout as well. Right now, she usually throws 100-120 pitches in a workout with me. Usually we will workout 3-4 times a week max. Is there a general thought on how many innings is appropriate vs. too much for a weekend. Is there a general thought on how many pitches should be thrown in a pitching workout? Just a dad trying to figure it all out. Thanks.

May 20, 2016
Innings not really a good indicator. Can have 3-6 pitch innings. For my DD when she was pitching she'd throw 3 games in a day. Good exercise regiment and training is what is needed. And if she felt tired she'd tell the coach and they'd swap her out.

As per practicing we never counted pitches. Would throw for an hour, then grab some ice cream.

Jun 19, 2020

Jan 22, 2011
My rule of thumb is no more than 3 games a weekend in 10u, which probably equates to 15 innings max. As your DD starts facing better competition, the coach may want to start doing things like not letting a batter see your DD more than twice in a game. I've seen coaches start a fast pitcher, then bring a slower pitcher in for once through the order, then bring the 1st pitcher back.

A coaches dream team is 3 pretty good pitchers and a 4th player who can pitch, but doesn't care how many innings she gets. 2nd year 12u my DD only pitched 5 or 6 games across the 81 games played that spring/summer, but didn't care because she was having fun and preferred playing outfield.

Jun 19, 2020
This thread may answer a few of your questions.

Nov 18, 2015
I don't recall the specifics of the other thread - but 100+ pitches for a 9YO multiple times a week seems like a lot. How are her mechanics?
Can you "play catch" underhand, or does she resort to trying to throw a pitch every time?

May 13, 2021
I have a just turned 9 YO and we try to get in 2-3 days a week if she plays that weekend we count that as one of her days. On average she probably throws around 100 pitches per session. Not sure if that is enough or to much but seems to work pretty good for her at this moment.

Jun 19, 2020
Man thing is keeping it as fun as possible. The road can be long so making sure it is fun at a young age is important.
100% Pitching is definitely a marathon not a sprint. Focus on good mechanics and everything will start to fall into place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles