10U Hitting Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with Amy,did it with dd TB coach and he said with the results he sees out of my dd. He said he whould change a thing,but still be open for suggestions,some times two sets of eyes are better then one.

May 31, 2009
thanks everyone. Your answers are the reason why i'm asking the questions. I was getting nervous when her coach mentioned changing her swing. the funny thing is the results are there and she's not struggling. I think i'll keep her swing the way it is. the head coach is old school and just got back into the game. i think once she see faster pitching on a regular basis she'll be able to get her timing set. i will take some video of her swing and post it. Thanks again.

bingo...........

Jan 25, 2011
Let me play devil's advocate. Any change in swing plane mechanics to hit a ball coming from about shoulder heighth on an elevated mound (baseball) vs. a pitch released at the hip from level ground (fastpitch)?

no,I would say not , every batter is tring to get to the same place,or swing plain with the ball,or bat angle.

Oct 25, 2009
Let me play devil's advocate. Any change in swing plane mechanics to hit a ball coming from about shoulder heighth on an elevated mound (baseball) vs. a pitch released at the hip from level ground (fastpitch)?

I would say it's a matter of bat angle adjustment. There are differences there but it shouldn't affect the swing mechanics that much.

In FP the pitcher can throw a riser better I would think since she's at the same level as the batter. In BB that would be hard to do with the mound, even for a submariner like Goose Gossage (or whoever does nowadays).

The mechanics are the same. The higher the pitch the more upright the swing. The lower the pitch the more tilt.

Nov 1, 2009
You are starting to see a lot of ex baseball players coaching at the college level. I would agree with teaching the same swing for both sports.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Think about the fastball in baseball. It has the same spin as a softball riseball (doesn't drop as fast). Starting from above the shoulder and off the mound, the arc and angle of the ball through the hitting zone is not much, if any, different than a SB fastball. A SB fastball has a drop type spin requiering it to be thrown at a more upward angle so the ball can drop back into the zone. The result is a very simular path through the hitting zone for both. Take into consideration the amount of time to react to either a 70 mph SB, or a 97 mph BB is also close to the same, and why would you need a different swing?

Oct 25, 2009
Think about the fastball in baseball. It has the same spin as a softball riseball (doesn't drop as fast). Starting from above the shoulder and off the mound, the arc and angle of the ball through the hitting zone is not much, if any, different than a SB fastball. A SB fastball has a drop type spin requiering it to be thrown at a more upward angle so the ball can drop back into the zone. The result is a very simular path through the hitting zone for both. Take into consideration the amount of time to react to either a 70 mph SB, or a 97 mph BB is also close to the same, and why would you need a different swing?

Yep! And the ones that don't understand tilt are the ones that hit so many choppers back to the pitcher.

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the validation

I'm glad to finally find people saying a baseball and softball swing are the same. I had heard the old "shorter" softball swing stories, but when I watch college ball, I couldn't see it! I thought I was missing something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG