10U Hitting Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board as well as being new to softball. I've coached travel baseball teams but my knowledge of softball is in need.

My 10U DD plays on a B travel team and will still be 10U next spring. She's hitting just south of .700 for the short season and has some power 5 doubles and 1 triple. The question is when do we start messing with her swing. She's a lefty and has a medium length almost baseball like swing. Which stands to reason since I coach baseball and I'm just learning that the softball swing is a lot different (shorter) then a baseball swing. Right now her coaches are talking about changing her swing.

She has gone against only one really fast pichter this year (compared the the rest) and went 0 for 2, she did well against the others and a few games was the only one who has gotten hits. The swing seams to be working fine right now but I know as she get older and faces faster pitching it'll have to change. But do we start now or wait for next season to get ready for 12U.

Jan 25, 2011
Go and look at Albert Pujols and Megan Bush of Florida.Albert starts with a wider base then Megan but the same swing.I think they are currently the best hitters in their respetive sports.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
Maybe I'm wrong but I've been watching a lot of college soft ball this year. It seems to me that there are quite a few players that swing from either the bat resting on thier shoulders or swinging the bat from thier armpit area. I've never seen a college or pro baseball player do either of those. I know they end up in pretty much the same launch position but it still different. It looks like the swing for softball is shorter, quicker to the ball and a little more of thier wieght goes forward.

Jan 25, 2011
Well,my dd's BC is a baseball guy and we looked at Albert and Megan and see no diffrence.My dd walks away from her hands at stride and starts her swing from the ground up,with the hips leading the hands.I quess if all you want to do is just make contact then shorter could do that for you.But if you want to hit the ball with power teach what you consider a baseball swing.But I still say there is no difference between the two.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach both baseball and softball and I make no changes, in my lessons. Go ahead and teach her what you know and also, teach any girl that will let you. Help her a lot on the overhand throw. Good luck and have fun.

Oct 25, 2009
You're getting some good advice but without actually seeing a video of her swing everyone is more or less guessing.

If you want some great advice post a video. Preferably side view, live pitch.

Sep 17, 2009
Coach MagicDad,

You are running into some old-school softball thinking. I ran into it a decade ago with my oldest and it still holds sway in some areas. That sort of "softball" swing launches from a static hand position, spins on the back heel and slaps the back with a low finish. Kind of looks "cool" but as you know from baseball won't get the results you want.

Seems like YOU can certainly get your DD down the right path with her swing. But what about her coaches that might want to change her? Show them the model swings thread on this site, point them to Enquist/Candrea top softball coaches saying baseball/softball swings are the same and college softball teams/coaches like Florida and Alabama teaching the swing you know (or something like it) from baseball. Then volunteer to help the rest of their teams swing like your DD : >

Don't let them change her or as Wellphyt likes to say teach out natural, athletic moves you'll end up struggling to put back in later.

Good luck.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Be wary of ANYONE who talks of the "softball swing" being different than the baseball swing. Usually they are convinced that they know what they are talking about and think anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
Thanks everyone. Your answers are the reason why I'm asking the questions. I was getting nervous when her coach mentioned changing her swing. The funny thing is the results are there and she's not struggling. I think I'll keep her swing the way it is. The head coach is old school and just got back into the game. I think once she see faster pitching on a regular basis she'll be able to get her timing set. I will take some video of her swing and post it. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG