10,000 Hours Doesn't Make You Perfect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I have seen some DFP members with very few posts who seem knowledgeable and also have
seen members with hundreds of posts that are still filled with dribble. That, in a nutshell is
my scientific evidence
Hey!!! Okay your right. That makes it 1669 post. I need a swimming pool to hold my dribble:eek:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Chess Players and musicians are the focus group? and this relates to Iverson and other sports athletes how? Academia is so cute when they attempt to relate to things they don't understand. In their defense I bet they can hit a trash can with a waded up piece of paper from 3 feet 70% of the time.LOL

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What's the old line 20 years of experience vs 1 year of experience 20 times Some people are stuck at just good enough and never advance. Or even try to advance. Others continue to learn and study their craft to get better or more efficient.

Some are simply not curious enough for years of experience to translate into quality. You have to remain a student, and one who is curious.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
As much pitching knowledge as Rick Pauly has, I sense in him continued curiosity. As great as Sarah Pauly is, I can't help but wonder how much better she would have been if today's Rick could travel back in time and advise the Rick Pauly of 15-20 years ago.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't think there are many pitching coaches out there as curious as Javasource. As little as I know, there have been times when he has been intrigued by my instruction, and it is one o the things I admire in him. He's a darned vacuum for pitching information. He also seems to have a mind for it. Good grief, just look at that pitching bible he's doing (drive mechanics).

Yes, I think being humble and curious are vital for years of experience to translate into quality.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
"The evidence is quite clear that some people do reach an elite level of performance without copious practice, while other people fail to do so despite copious practice," according to the researchers.

Well, that should go without saying. Did anyone really think the only difference between Jennie Finch and their daughter was practice?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As a coaching staff we have also emphasized "quality over quantity". 100 good swings are better than 1000 bad ones.....

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Speaking of The Talent Code, the way you practice is only one of three elements it says are needed to achieve that elite level of performance. Having something to ignite the spark and tell you it's possible to be a high performer is another. And working with a Master Coach is the third.

If all you do is practice you're less likely to achieve elite status. If you have the other two you stand a better chance. Still no guarantees, but a much better chance.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Talent-Code-Greatness-Grown/dp/055380684X

Jul 26, 2010
We tell kids that don't have much talent that they can still be successful if they work really, really, really hard.

Sometimes we even mean it. Maybe.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves