Women coaching softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2011
I don't think its archaic thinking - men are much stronger in the upper bodies than women. Unless they are body builders, then all bets are off. We cannot throw a pitch as fast as a man in the same scenario...that's my point.

And yes, teaching differently and acquiring the same results is just fine. So maybe the heart of the matter for me, in my situation, was that he was coaching over me and confusing my player. It's hard enough to get 11 year old girls to focus on one thing at a time and then he threw in his own opinions...so perhaps it has nothing to do with what he said, but rather, how he presented it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think its archaic thinking - men are much stronger in the upper bodies than women. Unless they are body builders, then all bets are off. We cannot throw a pitch as fast as a man in the same scenario...that's my point.

And yes, teaching differently and acquiring the same results is just fine. So maybe the heart of the matter for me, in my situation, was that he was coaching over me and confusing my player. It's hard enough to get 11 year old girls to focus on one thing at a time and then he threw in his own opinions...so perhaps it has nothing to do with what he said, but rather, how he presented it.

I don't care if the idiot was male, female, alien etc., they have no business providing coaching advice to a player that is not their own during the middle of that player's practice. Unless there's an imminent safety hazard, like a kid not paying attention and about to walk in front of a pitching machine, backswing, or car, they should first address their concern privately with the coach.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
What is interesting to me is that I often find myself educating the former players who join me as coaches as well as the players themselves. There is a lot of bad instruction out there, and it goes out to the highest levels. Well, maybe next to the highest levels.

I've also had female assistants who say my practices are more productive and produce better results than the college coaches they've had, male or female. But that's because I work at it. Ultimately, I hope that mindset rubs off on my assistants, and that they become excellent coaches who happen to be female.

The single most important aspect for a coach, IMHO, is the willingness to learn. Learning knows no gender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild