Women coaching softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
***FROM SLUGGERS: These posts are from a different thread, but were not on topic. A new thread seemed appropriate. The issue is whether there is discrimination against women as coaches.***

Are you a woman? There is some thinking that women should only coach at young ages. Hard to tell from miss jeff, but assuming you are a woman.

Before anyone gets mad, look at the numbers. Unconscious discrimination if you are a woman.

If you are not, travel coaches and parents have so many issues of their own I would not blame one's self completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2009
Are you a woman? There is some thinking that women should only coach at young ages. Hard to tell from miss jeff, but assuming you are a woman.

Before anyone gets mad, look at the numbers. Unconscious discrimination if you are a woman.

If you are not, travel coaches and parents have so many issues of their own I would not blame one's self completely.

Hogwash. Some of the best coaches i've seen in this game are women. There is absolutely nothing that stops a woman from starting a team, and holding tryouts. Personally I could care less what sex the coach(es) are. I want to know about their "experience" coaching. THAT is the only thing that matters IMO. If I had to guess, most coaches are men, because they played ball in school, college etc, and have dd's that they want to coach. Softball wasn't nearly the sport 15-20 years ago, as it is now. There just wasn't the level of competition. Give it another 10 years and men will almost certainly be the minority, as the current high level players, get older, have kids, and give back to the game.

Apr 1, 2010
All other things being equal, I'd prefer a woman coach for my daughter. I think it's nice for the girls to have them as role models. However, I think what's most important is that the person's personality, knowledge and coaching style is good for my child.

Jul 9, 2010
All other things being equal, I'd prefer a woman coach for my daughter. I think it's nice for the girls to have them as role models. However, I think what's most important is that the person's personality, knowledge and coaching style is good for my child.

All things are rarely equal.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
True story: At a large suburban HS in Chicagoland, the AD makes sure that if there is a female HC, there is a male AC. He doesn't trust female HCs--but, he has in the past had some incredible disasters with all female coaching staffs. Most likely, he simply doesn't understand how to pick women coaches.

First, women *in general* are less interested in coaching, so a smaller percentage of women try to coach. Second, until someone is 30 YOA, a man or woman shouldn't try to coach. We are finally seeing some kids from the "modern female sports era" who are starting to coach.

Just because someone plays in college doesn't make them qualified to coach 12U kids. A coach has to deal with the kids and the parents. Newbie coaches, whether male or female, don't understand that the parents and kids are part of a bundle. Right now, most female coaches are newbies.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The past 2 seasons, DD played for a female HC. She played in college, is a HS varsity softball coach, a local college pitching coach and the mom of DD's teammate. DD could not have had a better experience.

DD is in tryput mode now. On Sunday, the team she tryed out with has a female HC, and two former players within the organization as assistants. Try-out was well organized, on-time, and well run. Very impressive to a prospective new parent.

Oct 25, 2009
All things being equal other than gender, I believe the female coach would be the preferred choice.

There are many great women coaches in softball. Most of the softball books I have are by women. In our area women are the majority of D1 school coaches.

Before considering discrimination I would consider qualification.

That is not to say there is no discrimination! If it wasn't for Title IX it would really be bad! If you want to be helpful ask your universities why there isn't better funding for softball programs.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If it wasn't for Title IX it would really be bad!

It is a shame you guys weren't around during the 1990s when the Big 10 and the SEC fought softball like it was the Black Plague. But, I've got to give credit to the SEC--when they finally had been beaten to a pulp by lawsuits and the feds, they really put some money and effort into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole