When to Start Swinging?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I have a couple of girls that have good hitting mechanics but they seem to always be behind the ball. I have encouraged them to start their sequence earlier (Dad's in the stands are yelling swing harder/quicker :mad:).

I have heard that as a batter you should start moving when the pitcher starts moving.

Is there a checklist or sequence that I should be looking for? For example, when the pitcher is at the 12 o'clock position the batter should start to coil.

I would imagine this varies by age, I am coaching 12U.

Thanks in advance.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My things. I don't believe any batter is not quick enough, they have to move the bat 2 feet at a ball coming 40 feet,I do believe many batters aren't ready for a good pitch. The first thing that needs to happen is they need to step in with calm clear confidence. Clear mind with self talk mantra of what they want to do: "drive the ball, drive the ball,...." Or "see the ball, react, see the ball, react" NOT what they don't what to do "don't strike out, don't swing at the outside pitch"

They need to know what good hitters do and what they HAVE to learn to do.
-swing at every pitch! Just stop on the bad ones.
- load and unload on every pitch for the rest of your career.
- movement on every pitch.
- just see the ball and react. Don't over think it, like "I need to hit this one to the fence."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
And if anyone watches that clip from Enquist, click on the youtube links to watch the whole speech. It is simply awesome!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Couple of things that may help. Have the batter always thinking on every pitch yes,yes yes,(hit the ball) only think no when they are not going to swing. Another thing is have a player coil, load body and hands and even stride on every pitch even if they are not going to swing. The only part of that sequence that doesn't go is the hands. When you load the hands they go up on a shelf. If you are going to swing you take the hands off of the shelf and swing. Battters need to be ready to swing on every pitch so they need to go through the sequence on every pitch. Hitter needs to be moving on every pitch not in a static position then try to swing.

May 17, 2012
Excellent advice all around. I have emphasized that the train always leaves the station, whether the hands are on board or not. I also tell them "To swing until you decide not too". I guess my question had more to do with at what point the train starts to leave the station.

At 12 o'clock the hips coil in, when the ball is released the batter starts to uncoil and stride...

Oct 25, 2009
I tell the batters when the pitcher moves away from you, you move away from her (coil).

The lead foot must be at toe touch when, or before, the ball gets there (timing). That's a critical part that's overlooked when teaching, sometimes. When they are at toe touch the hip leads the swing (train leaves the station).

The critical part is the timing, not the speed. Players should be watching and timing the pitcher from the dugout. In the hole batter should be coming to toe touch same time the batter does. On deck batter should be doing the same but with more focus. The on deck batter should look like a mirror of the batter. You see that in games.

T

theaddition

Couple of things that may help. Have the batter always thinking on every pitch yes,yes yes,(hit the ball) only think no when they are not going to swing. Another thing is have a player coil, load body and hands and even stride on every pitch even if they are not going to swing. The only part of that sequence that doesn't go is the hands. When you load the hands they go up on a shelf. If you are going to swing you take the hands off of the shelf and swing. Battters need to be ready to swing on every pitch so they need to go through the sequence on every pitch. Hitter needs to be moving on every pitch not in a static position then try to swing.

In the
yes,yes yes,(hit the ball) only think no when they are not going to swing. Another thing is have a player coil, load body and hands and even stride on every pitch even if they are not going to swing. The only part of that sequence that doesn't go is the hands. When you load the hands they go up on a shelf. If you are going to swing you take the hands off of the shelf and swing.
what part of the body is putting the brakes on the swing and what part of the body hits the accelerator?
It ain't the hands. Particularly on a high inside pitch.
Go to Baseballdebate.com and view all the clips of Miggy.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I can do everything up untill I decide to swing. I can load the hands. I can coil. I can uncoil. I can stride. If may hands don't go, I have stopped my swing and applied the brakes.I am aware that there is more to the swing then just moving my hands to the ball. As far as the accelerator. I am also aware that there is more involved in the swing then just my hands. The question was when to start their swings. The batters were late on pitches. I was giving more on the thought process and not so much on swing mechanics. I am always on BBD it gets really involved in the swing mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG