What to do with Brand New Player to fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2010
I am coaching a fall ball traveling 14u team. My team is has a very wide range of skill level, from players playing "A" ball to brand new (never played any kind of softball) My dilema is the one player who has never played before. She says her favorite position is
2nd base and then 1st but she cannot field or catch a ball. With limited practice times and a short season, 5 weekends, I am somewhat at a loss as to how to work with this person during practice and where do I put her for games. I do not want to hurt the "team" by placing her in a position to fail,(not to mention getting hurt) but I also want her to be successful. Help, suggestions are appreciated!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her Mom or Dad has to do the work. Tell them *specifically* what they need to do.

I do not want to hurt the "team" by placing her in a position to fail,(not to mention getting hurt) but I also want her to be successful.

I don't have much sympathy for you. You shouldn't have put the kid on the team. You are in a tough spot, but you created it.

Jan 25, 2011
okay,I have to ask this! why would you take a player that has never played and put her on a travel team?

Aug 21, 2010
I didn't put her on my team. Our organization did. We have 3 fall ball teams at 14u, all about the same level of skill. All teams have girls who are at the lower level of skill. Had we split them based on tryout scores, the other 2 teams would have had NO pitching or catching, so a llittle smypathy would be nice as well as advice.

Aug 21, 2010
Nanotech, I guess for fall ball, we try and get new kids to play, but in my past experience, any new girls are somewhat athletic. I have not come across this situation and am somewhat at a loss.

Jan 25, 2011
Sounds to me that your organization is either poorly run,or they are on a money grap,looking to bring in money for summer ball next year and cut these girls in the spring.My suggestion is too lay it out to the team.Let them know that there are going to be alot of growing pains.At 14u,it is going to be hard,10u and maybe even 12u,you can get away with it,but at 14u.The pitching gets to a whole new level.Teach her how to bunt very well.Keep her out of the infield,bury her in the out field some where.Her parents better spend everyday working with her.Good luck!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not sure what your Defensive Mask policy is, if any, require her to wear one. If you are singling her out, I would pass it by your organization first. Tell them they need to buy it for her if money comes up.

I would guess the Team will be doing some drills that are not appropriate for her skill level. Take this time to pull her to the side to work on the basics. At 14 some of the other players should be able to work with her, does not have to be you.

Explain to her that her new favorite position is LF or RF, what skills she brings to these positions to help the Team. Work towards getting a few innings a2nd a little bit later in the year. Tell her right up front that 1st is off the table.

I think bunting a good idea. Make sure she can bunt before moving on to the full swing.

Mar 13, 2010
You need to teach her how to play, not 'how to get by' You will not make a good softball player out of her unless she is taught what to do.

First off, maybe a bit obvious, but have you made sure she is putting the glove on the right way, has she been shown how to throw properly, how to catch properly?

I have seven year olds able to do this within a lesson. They don't catch it every time, but they have the basics right.

Second, have you spoken to the parents and asked them to work with her outside of practice? Maybe have a chat to some of the more experienced girls and see if they're willing to help her? Her team needs to help her get up to scratch.

It's hard but it can be done. Hopefully her parents are willing to help her get caught up.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This is a situation where the Organization has too much control on the individual teams. Fall Ball is typically for teaching, so my question is why didn't the Organization build teams according to skill level? Sure I guess you don't want to be the coach that ends up getting all the new players, but seeing the new players "get it" is what it is all about.

You said if the players were split according to try-out scores the other teams wouldn't have pitching or catching. Well internally you could have made a schedule where the team could have "picked up" a pitcher/catcher for the weekend. Placing players whose skill level is way below the other girls does nothing for anybody. The new player gets discouraged because she knows she isn't as good as the other players, the good players get discouraged because they know the lower skill levels shouldn't be playing with them. Just all around bad politics IMO

Last edited:
May 8, 2009
Florida
You need to teach her how to play, not 'how to get by' You will not make a good softball player out of her unless she is taught what to do.

Second, have you spoken to the parents and asked them to work with her outside of practice? Maybe have a chat to some of the more experienced girls and see if they're willing to help her? Her team needs to help her get up to scratch.

Very well put. High reps of everything. I know SBFamily and others have posted a like to Candrea's IF drills, these would be good for her (and the team) to create the reps. When you have her in the field, surround her with your better players and if you can, move them to help cover the position (cheat the CF over to cover more ground, middle IF deeper on relays, etc). Teach her to run so at least you can CR her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild