Wearing batting glove inside fielding glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2015
My DD is catching on a rec league team for fall ball. Only 8 games and she is using her fielder's glove. She asked if she should wear her batting glove for extra protection and I said "Try it." She did and likes it.

Now she asking if she should wear it that way when she returns to the infield. I couldn't think of a reason no to, so I didn't give her a recommendation.

Any ideas?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If she likes it, go with it. I've seen this done at lots of different levels, at lots of different positions.

My DD is the opposite. She can't stand the feeling of a glove inside her glove/mitt.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
A lot of our little league boys wear them in the Spring when it's cold out here. It can also help give more grip for smaller hands on the glove. No reason to not wear if she is comfortable.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD wears a batting glove inside fielding glove so as to not sweat so much inside her fielding glove. This results in the glove smelling very bad. Unfortunately, even with the batting glove, her glove still smells bad. A side story: her lacing is broken inside the glove. Last weekend at a showcase, she showed her glove to her HC, and he fixed it temporarily. He gave it back to her and asked "Do you have a boyfriend?"; She, of course, replies "Nope"; He says "Well I know why...your glove smells like butt!" Sigh.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I didn't wear my batting glove inside my fielders glove when I pitched or the time or two I've had to play the outfield or second base. But now that I'm a catcher, I feel very comfortable wearing a padded glove underneath my catcher's mitt. It really helps reduce the sting inside my catcher's mitt when I'm catching 60-plus mph fastballs.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has never worn a batting glove inside her fielding glove, but I know other players that do. I think it is just personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer, just tell her to do what ever makes her comfortable.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
My DD always wears a batting glove under her catchers glove or fielding glove. By the end of the season it runs around like Hand from the Addams Family. One of these days I'll get around to emailing a batting glove company about buying left hand only gloves in bulk.

Sep 18, 2011
My DD is catching on a rec league team for fall ball. Only 8 games and she is using her fielder's glove. She asked if she should wear her batting glove for extra protection and I said "Try it." She did and likes it.

Now she asking if she should wear it that way when she returns to the infield. I couldn't think of a reason no to, so I didn't give her a recommendation.

Any ideas?

DD's first year 14U travel coach (also a college coach) recommended wearing a batting glove underneath the fielding glove for all of his players. DD is now second year 18U and she still wears a batting glove underneath her fieder's glove. Always will. I think this is quite common and if your dd likes it, she should continue to wear it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad