Want more information of the moment of release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
I am looking for really "slow motion"/"high frame rate" clip or photo sequence of the moment of release, i.e. the 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock part of the circle.
For most of the clip/sequence I found, that period is tooooo fast for the clip/sequence to capture, so the most important part is skipped. :(

Things I want to know from these clips/sequence include:
The wrist's movement during the release: whether it goes back to forth like "straight to goose head" or "reverse goose head to straight" (hope you get what I mean) or goes sideway or doesn't move at all as it is just rotated by the arm.
The palm's direction: at which stage of the rotation is it released. I think I pronated too much.
The fingertips: where does the ball roll off and made last contact with.
And whether any part give any final thrust or push on the ball
...etc

Jun 20, 2008
Remind, IMO what you see the wrist doing at or just before the "MOR" will be different depending on what pitch is being thrown, a peel drop differs greatly from a screwball from a dropcurve from a riseball...the hand many times will look different even on a fastball depending on who is teaching it and what they believe needs to happen...

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a very good look at it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/anGfqxIEwGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
With all due respect, and I am not trying to be condescending or a smart alec, You need to find a good pitching instructor because you have no clue what you are asking.

What fastball are you referring to? More than one thing to be considered. Are we talking closed or open mechanics? Step style or leap and drag? What follow through has the pitcher been taught? All these things can have an effect on the release and release point what the wrist / hand do.

This board has alot of experience on it and mostly good advice. However, THIS BOARD CANNOT TAKE THE PLACE OF THE EYES OF AN EXPERIENCED INSTRUCTOR.

This is my recommendation to you: Find a good instructor because they need to see her throw to make the best recommendation to improve.

The instant of ball release and release point will vary tremencously depending on everything I listed.

There is no generic answer that will fit all, despite what some in this sport would want a person to believe.

Find a good instructor.

Last edited:
May 22, 2011
unfortunately their are many areas in the country where "experienced instructor" just means they have done it a long time, and they are the instructors many on this board would say to run from, so educating ourselves to help our children or players are our only option, and those of you who put up helpfull info and clips, thank you for your help, keep it coming.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
unfortunately their are many areas in the country where "experienced instructor" just means they have done it a long time, and they are the instructors many on this board would say to run from, so educating ourselves to help our children or players are our only option, and those of you who put up helpfull info and clips, thank you for your help, keep it coming.

I fully understand that and have to agree.

What bothers me ( being a really old instructor) is to see what is a very generic question answered with a very specific answer. Fact being. the best and correct answer for one pitcher might be the absolute wrong answer for another. Unfortunately, it turns into well meaning but bad advice.

Sometimes us 'old farts' have to step up and just say "Now wait a minute here...." and point these things out in so many other words.

As an example, I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I have spent un-teaching bad habits that were taught by coach Dad, having learned them from videos, DVDs or softball message boards. Misinterpreted information is very commonly taught to daughters.

Trying to say something as "I have been through this many times" often ends up sounding more like "I'm smarter than you" and that's not the case at all.

Sometimes those 'Bad habits' are very hard to break and very frustrating for an instructor AND the student.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Sometimes those 'Bad habits' are very hard to break and very frustrating for an instructor AND the student.

Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!!

I have girl I'm working with right now who was taught to slam the hip. It's been a struggle for her to make the change.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!! Amen Brother!!

I have girl I'm working with right now who was taught to slam the hip. It's been a struggle for her to make the change.

OK. Here comes a generic answer.

Have her place her toes on the powerline, shoulder width apart or just a little bit farther and at 45-degrees.

Have her make three arm circles and not release until the 3rd circle is complete.

DO NOT MOVE THE FEET AT ALL.

I used that with all my students.

Make sure the ball is pointing towards 3rd base at 12:00 (RH pitcher(.

Again, do not let the feet move during this drill, even if you have to get on your knees behind her and actually hold that back foot down.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Replying to the original thread topic here is another interesting high speed clip that shows what you are looking for. It is said to be a drop ball. It gives to a look at the finger and wrist movement that you were looking for more information on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BuvK_qqfpAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01